Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ??? >

Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ???

Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ???

Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM

I used a regular 1/4" seam with a straight stitch. I have a mid-arm machine and frame that I used to quilt it.

The Too Cool methods recommends quilting each block differently, depending on the design of the shirt, but I'm not that experienced yet in quilting on a frame, so I used a pantograph for an all over design. I used Superior's MonoPoly clear thread to quilt it, which also went much better than I expected. It was the first time I used MonoPoly thread and was very happy with it. previous attempts with clear nylon thread were horrible! I think as long as you pin the sandwich well, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm happy to share my experience with it. It was alot of fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Kuseta ... I'm going to keep all this in mind and one of these times I'll get brave! And give 'er a try!
So basically, sew them together the same as normal, but use a ball point needle and the walking foot. All makes sense!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Kuesta - how do you sew the blocks since they are not uniform in size? Are there partial seams? I like this quilt as it goes beyond the sashing & cornerstone method.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

yes, there are a lot of partial seams. The instructions say to put the blocks together in chunks, avoiding as many of the partial seams at that time as you can. Then you will do partial seams with the bigger chunks.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Kuseta ... I got my book a couple of days ago and have been doing some studying! Tempted I am to just try a few sample blocks, but I know when I try something new, I never want to stop. So I have vowed that some PhDs need to get done before I can try to be Too Cool!

Army Wife ... you can buy the book via an online download or have it mailed to you. There's full details on the how-to that I feel comfortable with getting into this.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM

QuiltE, Hurry up and finish those PhDs so you can get going on Too Cool. We want to see it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
QuiltE, Hurry up and finish those PhDs so you can get going on Too Cool. We want to see it.
Finish? You've got to be kidding ......... I will NEVER finish the PhDs!!!!!
Just so long as I get some of them done ... or at least further along the way, I'll be happy.

I finished one today and just posted it ...........
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t213094.html
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM

QuiltE- yes, I see that it can be downloaded and I just may get it on my ipad. I put a note on my FB wall for all my friends to send me shirts
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Kuseta: did you buy the cutting templates?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by armywife View Post
QuiltE- yes, I see that it can be downloaded and I just may get it on my ipad. I put a note on my FB wall for all my friends to send me shirts
But do you really want T-Shirts that are not yours? or are you ready to get into business making them for others? If so, Too Cool are looking for franchisees ... you could be one of them!

About the templates ... I don't plan to order them. For the first quilt, I will use my square rulers I have here ... yes, will be a little more cumbersome and not as quick and easy than using their templates. If I like it and see myself doing more, then I'll get some plexi cut at my local glass shop and and my own marks. It should work out a lot less ... though of course, for you shipping/receiving in the USA, the route to go, may be to use their templates.