Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ???

Question Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ???

I have a friend that is wanting to make a t-shirt quilt for her daughter out her college shirts. I don't have a book on this & was wondering if the quilter's here could recommend one that gives detailed instuctions. She has made other quilt's, but never one from t-shirts. Thanks in advance for any help.

My DD used "How to Make a Tool Cool T-shirt Quilt" by Andrea T. Funk for my quilt.. She got it from Amazon.

I found some really good tutorials online that helped me...along with some kind person on this board...that sent some great information. SO search here too.

Elenor Burns has a pattern that is probably available at any local quilt store.

There's a t-shirt quilt book in the new Connecting Threads catalog. It's called "T Shirt Quilts Made Easy" by Martha DeLeonards. It's $11.97 in the catalog, but you might be able to get it cheaper on Amazon.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    My DD used "How to Make a Tool Cool T-shirt Quilt" by Andrea T. Funk for my quilt.. She got it from Amazon.
    You can order and download that book from teh Too Cool website ... or order a hard copy direct from them.

GramaJo ... would love to hear more input re your daughter's experience with the Too Cool technique. From what I have read, I think their method makes the most sense, though I have yet to hear anyone who has done it that way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    You can order and download that book from teh Too Cool website ... or order a hard copy direct from them.

GramaJo ... would love to hear more input re your daughter's experience with the Too Cool technique. From what I have read, I think their method makes the most sense, though I have yet to hear anyone who has done it that way.
    Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  723.0 KBHere's the quilt she made for me. The design is based on a 3" grid; the largest block is 15". I believe she used graph paper to lay it all out. She used pockets from shirts, embroidered patches from my rallying and flying days, the front and back of a V-necked shirt sewn together so it actually looks like a V-necked shirt. She has waaay more patience than I would have had. It is my favorite napping-on-the-couch quilt.
    Last edited by gramajo; 01-13-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Thee are many, many FREE tutorials online.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

I'm her daughter and I found the Too Cool way to be very easy. There's no interfacing of each block, you just sew them together using a ball point needle because of the knit and a walking foot. They didn't stretch near as bad as you would expect.

The hardest part was coming up with a layout that fit everything. I was working at my dining room table with a sheet of graph paper and all these little squares cut to proportion. I'd be close to being done and one of my cats would jump up and knock everything around. This happened twice before I got smart enough to move to my sewing room and shut the door!

I would recommend doing tshirt quilts this way. You can use many more shirts and I think it turns out looking much more interesting.
    Tammy

GramaJo ... Thanks for getting your DD to join us here on this thread! I bet that quilt is your favourite, for two reasons ... made by your loving DD plus being surrounded by all those memories, what else could it be?

Kuseta ... Darn those cats!!! but they were only wanting to play with you!!! Thanks for jumping in. I've been following the Too Cool method and do think "in theory" it's the way to go. However, I haven't gotten into action yet! You're the first I've found that has followed the Too Cool method, so am very glad to hear your thoughts.

Some questions, that I hope you don't mind my asking.
    I see you used a ballpoint needle and walking foot.
    Did you stitch with a regular straight stitch 1/4" seam? stretch stitch? or?
    It looks like you had it LAQ.
    Do you think it'd be easy enough to sandwich and FMQ on a DSM?
    or should I plan on sending it to a LAQ?

I've been buying local t-shirts in the thrift stores to use as a test run and then will give it for a charity fundraiser in the community. If I like the technique, then I will have some confidence to cut into the "good" t-shirts! If not, at least I have not ruined the ones of personal value.

Thanks for your input ... I really appreciate it!

I used a regular 1/4" seam with a straight stitch. I have a mid-arm machine and frame that I used to quilt it.

The Too Cool methods recommends quilting each block differently, depending on the design of the shirt, but I'm not that experienced yet in quilting on a frame, so I used a pantograph for an all over design. I used Superior's MonoPoly clear thread to quilt it, which also went much better than I expected. It was the first time I used MonoPoly thread and was very happy with it. previous attempts with clear nylon thread were horrible! I think as long as you pin the sandwich well, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm happy to share my experience with it. It was alot of fun.
    Tammy

Thanks Kuseta ... I'm going to keep all this in mind and one of these times I'll get brave! And give 'er a try!
    So basically, sew them together the same as normal, but use a ball point needle and the walking foot. All makes sense!!!

Kuesta - how do you sew the blocks since they are not uniform in size? Are there partial seams? I like this quilt as it goes beyond the sashing & cornerstone method.

yes, there are a lot of partial seams. The instructions say to put the blocks together in chunks, avoiding as many of the partial seams at that time as you can. Then you will do partial seams with the bigger chunks.
    Tammy

Kuseta ... I got my book a couple of days ago and have been doing some studying! Tempted I am to just try a few sample blocks, but I know when I try something new, I never want to stop. So I have vowed that some PhDs need to get done before I can try to be Too Cool!

Army Wife ... you can buy the book via an online download or have it mailed to you. There's full details on the how-to that I feel comfortable with getting into this.

QuiltE, Hurry up and finish those PhDs so you can get going on Too Cool. We want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    QuiltE, Hurry up and finish those PhDs so you can get going on Too Cool. We want to see it.
    Finish? You've got to be kidding ......... I will NEVER finish the PhDs!!!!!
    Just so long as I get some of them done ... or at least further along the way, I'll be happy.

I finished one today and just posted it ...........
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t213094.html

QuiltE- yes, I see that it can be downloaded and I just may get it on my ipad. I put a note on my FB wall for all my friends to send me shirts

Kuseta: did you buy the cutting templates?

Quote Originally Posted by armywife View Post
    QuiltE- yes, I see that it can be downloaded and I just may get it on my ipad. I put a note on my FB wall for all my friends to send me shirts
    But do you really want T-Shirts that are not yours? or are you ready to get into business making them for others? If so, Too Cool are looking for franchisees ... you could be one of them!

About the templates ... I don't plan to order them. For the first quilt, I will use my square rulers I have here ... yes, will be a little more cumbersome and not as quick and easy than using their templates. If I like it and see myself doing more, then I'll get some plexi cut at my local glass shop and and my own marks. It should work out a lot less ... though of course, for you shipping/receiving in the USA, the route to go, may be to use their templates.

I got my e-book. I bought some plexiglass and now I have to cut it. Home Depot would not cut up, but I could swear that I bought plexiglass from Lowes a coupla years ago and the guy cut it. Will try and start this on the weekend. The book says to use a #70 micro sharp needle not a ball point needle, so this might be a new upate.

Just iron the lightweight fusible interfacing on the back of the shirts, and use them as you would any other fabric for the blocks. Definitely invest in a teflon pressing sheet for this project! And then you can use any quilt pattern you want that uses large blocks. Try the BQ patterns from Maple Island Quilts.
    This one had t-shirts, sweatshirts and lightweight jersey fabric in it. I even pieced together a few squares from her super small skirts and shirts, and appliquéd a sleeve onto the bottom of one shirt block for balance and to use the cool pocket logo.
    And use a hoodie pocket in a middle side block to stash the tv remote in! (and remember to not quilt the pocket shut!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I think I missed something. Was somebody recommending plexiglass as a way of seeing where your placement would be when you cut out the shirts? I have an easier, cheaper way - use a piece of cardboard. I determine what size I want the t-shirt blocks to be, mark that on the center of the cardboard, and cut out the center with an exacto knife. This makes a cardboard frame. I center that on the t-shirt and mark where my cutting lines are. It's easy to do, the frame is reusable, and I don't have to go through the expense of making a new plexiglass template in case the block sizes are different from one quilt to the next, or if I want to use multiple sizes of blocks in my quilt.

I am starting my second t shirt quilt. I found lots of patterns on line for free and some are easier than others. I would do a search before I bought a book or paid for a download. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I think I missed something. Was somebody recommending plexiglass as a way of seeing where your placement would be when you cut out the shirts? I have an easier, cheaper way - use a piece of cardboard. I determine what size I want the t-shirt blocks to be, mark that on the center of the cardboard, and cut out the center with an exacto knife. This makes a cardboard frame. I center that on the t-shirt and mark where my cutting lines are. It's easy to do, the frame is reusable, and I don't have to go through the expense of making a new plexiglass template in case the block sizes are different from one quilt to the next, or if I want to use multiple sizes of blocks in my quilt.
    Peckish ... good for finding something that works for you.

The plexi templates are part of the Too Cool technique.
    Yes you could do it without the added cost.
    Quite frankly, I think it would be a good investment towards keeping the process simple and enjoyable.