Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ??? >

Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ???

Help - T-Shirt Quilting Book ???

Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM

I got my e-book. I bought some plexiglass and now I have to cut it. Home Depot would not cut up, but I could swear that I bought plexiglass from Lowes a coupla years ago and the guy cut it. Will try and start this on the weekend. The book says to use a #70 micro sharp needle not a ball point needle, so this might be a new upate.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Just iron the lightweight fusible interfacing on the back of the shirts, and use them as you would any other fabric for the blocks. Definitely invest in a teflon pressing sheet for this project! And then you can use any quilt pattern you want that uses large blocks. Try the BQ patterns from Maple Island Quilts.
This one had t-shirts, sweatshirts and lightweight jersey fabric in it. I even pieced together a few squares from her super small skirts and shirts, and appliquéd a sleeve onto the bottom of one shirt block for balance and to use the cool pocket logo.
And use a hoodie pocket in a middle side block to stash the tv remote in! (and remember to not quilt the pocket shut!)
Attached Thumbnails stephs-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by hudgoddess; 02-11-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM

I think I missed something. Was somebody recommending plexiglass as a way of seeing where your placement would be when you cut out the shirts? I have an easier, cheaper way - use a piece of cardboard. I determine what size I want the t-shirt blocks to be, mark that on the center of the cardboard, and cut out the center with an exacto knife. This makes a cardboard frame. I center that on the t-shirt and mark where my cutting lines are. It's easy to do, the frame is reusable, and I don't have to go through the expense of making a new plexiglass template in case the block sizes are different from one quilt to the next, or if I want to use multiple sizes of blocks in my quilt.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM

I am starting my second t shirt quilt. I found lots of patterns on line for free and some are easier than others. I would do a search before I bought a book or paid for a download. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think I missed something. Was somebody recommending plexiglass as a way of seeing where your placement would be when you cut out the shirts? I have an easier, cheaper way - use a piece of cardboard. I determine what size I want the t-shirt blocks to be, mark that on the center of the cardboard, and cut out the center with an exacto knife. This makes a cardboard frame. I center that on the t-shirt and mark where my cutting lines are. It's easy to do, the frame is reusable, and I don't have to go through the expense of making a new plexiglass template in case the block sizes are different from one quilt to the next, or if I want to use multiple sizes of blocks in my quilt.
Peckish ... good for finding something that works for you.

The plexi templates are part of the Too Cool technique.
Yes you could do it without the added cost.
Quite frankly, I think it would be a good investment towards keeping the process simple and enjoyable.