Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight! >

Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM

1954 I was still in school listening to the famous Singers Teddy Bear
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
Originally Posted by Pat-w
Cool.....I just discover that I have my mother-in-laws Feather Weight. It's DOB is 1941. I also have the card table that has a drop-down for the machine to set into. So I'm very excited also. Need to take photos and post them. You should post yours also. I'd like to see it.

Enjoy!!!
need to clean it first... it has been collecting dust (also in it's wood cabinet that has a drop down) for nearly 20 years. It's embarrassing how many cobwebs are in there. I'll clean it this weekend and post!

Here it is Pat!!!

1948! Anyone know what I can use to clean it?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182980[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182974.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Antdebby1
..... However, there is a terrible odor in the case and on the machine. Hubby says it's oil. Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of the smell?
I used dryer sheets in the case and kept it closed for a while. That didn't totally do it so I sprinkled baking soda in the case and put it out in the sun for several days. Also discovered the oil drip absorber sheet underneath the machine was nasty too!! This was under the screw-on base plate. Changing that helped more than anything! Good Luck!
Cindy
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Cool.....I just discover that I have my mother-in-laws Feather Weight. It's DOB is 1941. I also have the card table that has a drop-down for the machine to set into. So I'm very excited also. Need to take photos and post them. You should post yours also. I'd like to see it.

Enjoy!!!
need to clean it first... it has been collecting dust (also in it's wood cabinet that has a drop down) for nearly 20 years. It's embarrassing how many cobwebs are in there. I'll clean it this weekend and post!

Here it is Pat!!!
Beautiful machine. You're lucky to have your Mom's Singer. My Mom's was given away long ago. It was in a cabinet also.

Are you sure it is a featherweight though? Yours looks like it is in a cabinet, and you said it has a knee peddle. Featherweights unusally have foot peddles...I think?

I'm posting a photo of mine. DOB April 1, 1941. Featherweights only weigh about 11 lbs. Black surface left of needle flips up to store in carrier box. I was lucky my MIL did keep her machine. Now I have a featherweight of my very own!

Still haven't cleaned it up. Someone said to clean the machine with Liquid Gold.

Front View
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183988[/ATTACH]

Back View
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183989[/ATTACH]

In Card table w/drop down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183990[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183982.jpe   attachment-183983.jpe   attachment-183984.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Enjoy your little FW! I have two and love to sew on them.
One came in pristine condition ( named Grasshopper), and the other one smelled very badly ( for now, named Stinky) . I left the case open outside to air for two days, and left a bar of soap in the case and it's gone now.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Enjoy!!!

Here it is Pat!!!
Beautiful machine. You're lucky to have your Mom's Singer. My Mom's was given away long ago. It was in a cabinet also.

Are you sure it is a featherweight though? Yours looks like it is in a cabinet, and you said it has a knee peddle. Featherweights unusally have foot peddles...I think?

I'm posting a photo of mine. DOB April 1, 1941. Featherweights only weigh about 11 lbs. Black surface left of needle flips up to store in carrier box. I was lucky my MIL did keep her machine. Now I have a featherweight of my very own!

Still haven't cleaned it up. Someone said to clean the machine with Liquid Gold.
I'd say mine is full size.... sure weighs more than 11 pounds .....I think. Took it to the repairman today. He says it's in great shape, not a lot of use. No nicks on the hand wheel or wear on the decals in front of the needle. Also the dogs are fairly sjarp. 2 weeks and I'll have it back! Your feather weight is beautiful!! Have you sewn with it yet?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Enjoy!!!

Here it is Pat!!!

I'd say mine is full size.... sure weighs more than 11 pounds .....I think. Took it to the repairman today. He says it's in great shape, not a lot of use. No nicks on the hand wheel or wear on the decals in front of the needle. Also the dogs are fairly sjarp. 2 weeks and I'll have it back! Your feather weight is beautiful!! Have you sewn with it yet?
Was the repairman able to tell you the model # or any thing about the machine? I haven't sewn with mine yet. Someone put a new electrical cord on it. As soon as you plug it in, it starts to run and you can't shut it off. (Guess they did it wrong.) So I know it runs well and pretty quiet too. I was surprised at that. I need to take it in for a check over and oiling and of course the cord adjustment. I'll be going there next week to use their longarm, so I'll drop it off then. Can't wait to use it!

Don't forget to let me know about yours when you get it back.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Enjoy!!!

Here it is Pat!!!

Was the repairman able to tell you the model # or any thing about the machine? I haven't sewn with mine yet. Someone put a new electrical cord on it. As soon as you plug it in, it starts to run and you can't shut it off. (Guess they did it wrong.) So I know it runs well and pretty quiet too. I was surprised at that. I need to take it in for a check over and oiling and of course the cord adjustment. I'll be going there next week to use their longarm, so I'll drop it off then. Can't wait to use it!

Don't forget to let me know about yours when you get it back.
Pat, it's a model #66, I'm buying a manual from Singer now that I know the model #.. it was made Nov 26, 1948 in NJ according to the nice folks at Singer. They also hooked me up with Treadalon (website) for cleaning and polishing etc. Will post again after it's all spruced up!