Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you find a charity group? >

How do you find a charity group?

How do you find a charity group?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Default How do you find a charity group?

Is there a website that lists groups that do charity quilts? Seems that I've asked everyone at the local quilt stores and they don't seem to know of any.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Quilts for kids, Project Linus, Home of the Brave, Wounded Warriors, Quilts of Valor or just a few. You can google them. Also if you have a guild in your area, they probably have places that they donate to. Our guild has about a dozen places that quilts go to and we give away over 600 quilts a year. My favorite place thru the guild is to our local NICU.
What part of California are you in?

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but here are a few suggestions:

Project Linus:
http://www.projectlinus.org/voluntee...tateKey=CA#tgt

Project Linus donates quilts to children in crisis, Homeless shelters, Hospitals, etc. The above link lists chapters around the country.

Quilts for Kids:
http://www.quiltsforkids.org/

I don't have any personal experience with this charity.

Here's a list of other possibilities posted by QuiltersWorld magazine:
http://www.quiltersworld.com/makeadifference.php

If you can't find what you're looking for in any of these links, try googling Quilt Guild and the city you live in. You should be able to find out about national or local organizations that collect quilts for charity.

If you just want to do something on your own, you can always contact a local Homeless shelter, Women's shelter, Public Hospital, Head Start program, Police Department, Fire Department, Nursing Homes. I'm sure you can find a worthwhile charity interested in putting your quilts to good use. You can also contact the Band Directors from your area High School to see if they hold any Silent Auctions or Raffles where they might be able to sell a donated quilt as a fund-raiser. I made a t-shirt quilt for my school's band and they sold it for about $550.00.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Ask at your local quilt store about local quilt guilds. The quilt guilds most likely do charity quilts.

Other possibilities for groups that need quilts are your local battered women's shelter, homeless shelter.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Another to add to the list is nursing homes.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Shame on your local quilt shops for not knowing about groups who do charity quilts!
They need to be reading the current quilting magazines to keep abreast of the industry and the things that are involved with it. It's unfortunate that too many LQS are just a hobby source for fabric for their owners and employees when they could be SO much more.

Here is a great complete list from Quilting World Magazine.
http://www.quiltersworld.com/makeadifference.php

Jan in VA
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

All of the above mentioned groups are worthy, but sometimes it is easier, less expensive, or more satisfying, or there are fewer rules to be followed, if you donate locally. All the guilds around here donate quilts to various groups, including abused women and children's shelters, veterans, and active duty military. One of the LQS's organizes sewing sessions using donated fabric (unusual for a quilt store to do this!) to donate quilts to hospice. There is a another group that meets weekly in the senior center to make quilts for veterans. Church groups also make quilts for donations. Your LQS really should be aware of these types of organizations, so shame on them for not having the information. I think your best bet would be to check with the local guilds, senior centers, hospitals, hospice, etc. If they can't give you the name of a local group, at least one of them will probably be thrilled to take your donations.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Is there a website that lists groups that do charity quilts? Seems that I've asked everyone at the local quilt stores and they don't seem to know of any.
Shocked that the employees at the stores don't know of any!

Perhaps you can make them a list!

Nan
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Another choice is your local animal shelter. Mine has several auctions throughout the year and have auctioned off quilts.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I have found my charities that I quilt for thru a church group and a local quilter's guild. If you are in Southern CA, I would contact a LQS called the Calico House located in Yorba Linda CA. They are a Gammill dealership so they quilt lots of charity quilts letting new students practice on those quilts. They probably could refer you to a local charities. One of my friends sent me this information.....

Quilts of Compassion
PO Box 350296
Toledo OH 43635

They provide quilts to people who have suffer thru a natural disaster. PM me and I will give you the lady's in charge e-mail. Just didn't think it would be correct to post it. Good Luck !!