Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh? >

How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:44 AM

I am allergic to fabric softeners, so I put about a half cup of white vinegar in the last rinse when washing clothes. I think the vinegar also helps kill any odors.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:01 AM

Good luck with your odor problem. I place a terry cloth bath towel over my ironing board cover. When it gets too much spray starch on it, or too many pieces of thread, then I just throw it in with a load of laundry, dry it, and off we go again. Avoids all kinds of problems.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 AM

If you go the "take it off and wash it" route. Arm and Hammer Pure Baking Soda added to the wash will get out odors from a Marine in Afghanistan without shower facilities. It might help with your estate items also! I was able to find a 5 LB bag at Wal-Mart. Sorry I don't remember how much it was. I was desperate, the grandson came home with all his gear from 7 months in Afghanistan. The smell was atrocious!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516460[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 185325.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 AM

Have you ever tried ALL Free and Clear? I have used it for quite a few yrs. now as I am very sensitive to "odors". I also live in a very humid climate and have never had a musty smell here in any of my laundry or clothing, or ironing board.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:13 AM

My cover didn't have an odor, but it looked like it went through a fire! Also my cover was oversized and the available cloth covers were very flimsy and thin.

I found a silver metallic one that comes in a big sheet with peel off backing. The adhesive bonds to the board. (Cotton batting is needed under the cover.) The silver doesn't absorb moisture and pushes the steam back into the fabric. It is a Bo-Nash product. It's been on my ironing board for about 2 years and looks like new.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM

I don't get smells but I do use starch and adhesives so I protect my ironing board covers with freezer paper. Just iron it on and when mucky replace
Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 AM

I would try this in your closets and your sewing space. Get Damp Rid. It's sold at many places including Home Depot and WalMart. Our cottage always smelled musty after being closed up for a while. This product absorbs extra moisture. You can buy it in refillable tubs or hanging bags that you can put on a closet rod. It comes in a scentfree version which is what I use. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM

If you don't want to take it apart....what about trying an upholstery cleaning product - like Woolite?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 AM

I have a 'big board' that my husband made, that is used ONLY for my quilting projects. I noticed, I'm thinking in its first 6 mos of life, it did have an odor. To me it smelled musty.
So I thought, musty, wet.

Since then, when I notice water of any measurable amount gets on the board, I run the iron over it a few time to get the water evaporated as soon as possible. I have not noticed the smell since I started doing this.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I've been misting mine with vinegar and leaving the fan on overnight, but it doesn't always work. It smells musty when I come in the next day.

I have a desk size ironing board with the top fabric stapled in place over ironing board fabric so it is not easy to remove it to wash it.

Are there any ODOR FREE methods to get rid of the smell that won't leave a residue on the cloth that will transfer to my quilts or scorch?

Sounds to me like you have a moisture problem with your ironing board, probably from spraying with water as you iron. You can even get moisture from starch, sizing, and even the vinegar. The best suggestion is to buy a couple boxes of baking soda and spread it evenly all over the board. Let it set for at least a couple days, and then vacuum the baking soda off. You can do this more than once if you need to. (In an pinch, , you can lay a sheet over the baking soda, and iron If you need to, while waiting for the soda to do its job) Any residue that may be left will continue to deodorize, but not stain your quilts. Baking soda will remove odor and moisture. If this doesn't work, you make have to pull the cover off and let it dry. When you put the cover back on, if there is a way, drill some holes through the top, to prevent moisture being held in the layers and turning funky smelling. This is why store-bought ironing boards are not solid, they always have breathing holes in them.

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-10-2015 at 01:12 PM.