Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to make it? >

How long did it take you to make it?

How long did it take you to make it?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:42 PM

Default How long did it take you to make it?

We have all been asked that question, especially about quilts that are gifts. I was asked that about both of my Quilts of Valor so far. And what is the usual answer? I don't know or a long time.
Has anyone kept track of time working on a particular quilt project? I think I am going to do that on the next project I start. I am getting ready to start a new QoV project next to be ready for presentation in November. I don't usually wash fabric, but I think I will wash, dry and iron the red just to be on the safe side and I don't plan to track that prep time. I will start tracking when I begin the cutting process.
I will keep you posted about the results.
Enjoy your sewing everyone.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-29-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

​Unless I have a deadline, I seldom work on one project from start to finish.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:57 PM
KLO

I too seldom work on just one project so I don't keep track since it seems like work to do that. Also, my dogs interrupt me so much when I am in my studio (which is not attached to the house) that I would have to account for that. And one more thing, since this is a hobby for me, I don't need or care to know how long it took me to make a quilt because I might not ever make another quilt! So my "usual answer" is I don't know how long it took.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 PM

Washing , drying and ironing your fabric are essential to your project and planning and shopping for the fabric and supplies. All of those things need to be included in the total of "how long it took" Also, if you are shipping it out, the packing and trundling to the post office are part of the time used.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Sometimes I wonder about that myself or how long I spend on the actual quilting. I think about tracking the time but I never remember to do it! Not that I it matters to me, just curious. I would be interested to hear what you find out or even if you remember to track the time once you start on your next quilt.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

My neighbor is a planner. She schedules cutting for every morning and sewing for the afternoons. If she has all her cutting finished, the project she was working on the afternoon before she'll continue sewing that next morning. She actually puts this in her planner/appointment book. That's how she keeps track. She takes an hour and a half break at noon to eat or run errands or throw a meal in the overn or crockpot. The afternoon is always for sewing. Supper around 6 then it's more family time. Come 8pm it's handwork, binding, knitting, crocheting or maybe just nothing! Certainly not me. I should be more like that, I'd probably get more done.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Default A long time!!

I actually did keep a record of this one. From start to finish it took right at 90 hours.
Attached Thumbnails 26-fleur-9-25-16z.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM

In my previous hobby life I wove. One time I had a pre-sold load of placemats and decided to log in and out of the bolt and figure out the price per hour when all was sold. When I took off the material price I made 87 cents per hour and decided it would remain a hobby and I would stay in my profession. Have made 2 queen sized quilts that took 2 years each to finish.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oofta View Post
I actually did keep a record of this one. From start to finish it took right at 90 hours.
Beautiful! Worth every minute I would say
Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

My answer: I've been working on it for years. Sadly that is the truth as I get bored and the project goes back in the UFO pile.