Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to make it? >

How long did it take you to make it?

How long did it take you to make it?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 AM

If I am making a specific pattern and the quilt is twin-sized or thereabouts, it usually takes me a couple of months if I work on nothing else. When people ask me how long it took me to make a quilt, I usually say six months to a year because I am working on more than one at a time.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 AM

Wish I were organized and structured enough to just work on one project until completion....but I get too bored and jump into the next great idea running through my brain. And distractions such as dog and husband always take up time! Maybe if I downsized my stash there would be more completions....wait, now I'm having hallucinations!!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:38 AM

I was a weaver in my previous life too. I watched a man weave fast and I decided to try that. I could make a hand towel in less than an hour, because the warp (may be 20 yards) was already on the beam and threaded. But I got a touch of carpel tunnel. I had end feed shuttles. That part of my life is long gone.

Now I play with my quilts just like that guy on Ed Sullivan with the spinning plates. I do some on this one and then I do some on that one. My sympathies to the husband of the woman (Tessagain's neighbor), who made all those plans. She would be no fun at all.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:55 AM

I want to be like tessagain's neighbor!!! I am working on it. I am older and my energy level is not what it used to be, darn it. I do schedule cutting, sewing, clean up, etc. I have a hard time using my evening time efficiently and wind up not doing anything of importance as far as sewing and quilting are concerned. There are tasks that take an alert mind and I do those early when my mind is fresh. I do pretty well because I know my body-but I could do better. I do have a plan for some UFOs. Get rid of them or finish them. Most of mine are from classes and workshops. I really don't need to finish them because they served their purpose. I have disassembled some of them and repurposed the fabrics of squares, etc. I needed to take one to my guild meeting the other day-it is to be finished by October. Well, it will be done in a week-Why was it on my shelf? I have no answer.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:36 AM

I think it depends on how interested in the process I can stay or perhaps need to stay, I just finished 2 projects in 3 months they were both supposed to be birthday gifts and neither one has binding or a label on it. Both of the birthdays were the first 2 weeks of this month! But I am close! Can't wait since my sewing studio is a mess, will clear that up when I get done.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Banned

Its a hobby, not a job. Its supposed to be fun and relaxing. Why booger it up with schedules and planning? Did you not get enough of that working and raising kids?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:46 AM

I kept track of my time on one quilt I made a couple of years ago. I made a lap quilt size Irish Chain with simple cross hatch quilting and it took me 32 hours to finish it. I only work on one quilt at a time.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:21 AM

I made a queen sized quilt for my DGD's wedding gift. It was also her shower gift. The top was finished for the shower and the quilt was finished for the wedding. It took me a year. I worked on other small projects during that time, but not many. It was a Judy Martin log cabin and took a lot of concentration. All the fabric came from my stash (so "free" in my mind). I was very happy to finish it and I figure the value is about $1000.00.
Sue
Old 01-30-2017, 07:54 AM

I don't think I want to know. I do it because I love to create and consider myself a sloooooooow piecer and quilter. I FMQ them all because I now have a Tiara and I am also slow. Love applique which also slows me down. All a labor of love for people I love or those in need. I never sell them, so it doesn't matter to me, though I have been curious about it, but not enough to pursue LOL
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan, I seldom work on one quilt start to finish. I once made a quilt for my DH for our 25th wedding anniversary, however, life happens and I finally finished it to give it to him on our 30th wedding anniversary. However, although I didn't have a problem with his fabric choices, I won't make the mistake of letting him pick the pattern again. It was a kaliedoscope pattern, lots and lots of bias edges. I had tried to make a pieced border out of one portion of the quilt pattern, however, it didn't work out, so I spent TWO DAYS "unsewing" the border and then put it away. I eventually went with a plain black border with a large cable quilting design in the borders - black was part of the quilt fabrics, so it worked out. I've pieced tops in a day, a week, or longer, it just depends on the pattern, my mind set and life. I'd be interested in seeing the results of your time frame for quilts.