Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to make it? >

How long did it take you to make it?

How long did it take you to make it?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Oofta View Post
I actually did keep a record of this one. From start to finish it took right at 90 hours.
Love how well protected it is too.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:10 PM

I never keep track of my time. For me sewing/quilting are often an hour here and an hour there in between laundry and cooking. I still work full time so I also do a lot of an hour after work before my husband gets home and we eat or go to the gym.

There used to me a woman at a quilt guild I went to that knew exactly (hours and minutes) how long it took her to make every quilt and announced it during show and tell. I found it a bit annoying after a while. lol
Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 PM

I (former teacher) started quilting when I retired 6 years ago and bought 75 page notebooks and drew a line down the middle from the top to the bottom of each page and put down the date and the time I worked that day - brief description of what I worked on each day. I have all of those notebooks and have gone back to them many times when I want to make a quilt pattern or when I bought fabric and how much. Have found them to be extremely sometimes to answer questions on the quilting board. Takes less than 5-10 minutes each day and worth it. My thoughts.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM

Would that include the amount of time that I stand in front of my stash, hemming and hawing about which fabrics to use, or which pattern to use, or if this is actually going to work out, or searching the internet because I knewI should have bought an extra half yard of that very nice (insert colour here) fabric when I had the chance, or wondering if this is going to be big enough or should I add that extra border, or......no, I think I will just enjoy the process .

If my quilts take 5 minutes less than forever to make, well then I will have 5 minutes to think about another project.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

I hand-quilt bed-size quilts. Don't think I'll even GO there!
Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 PM

I track mine, just because when I started, I was curious how long one would take.

So far I have three finished quilts, two with the sewing machine (pieced fronts, quilted to a fleece backing, no batting), and a baby quilt that has a panel and two side pieces I hand pieced, and then hand quilted. A second baby quilt, being done the same way, is in the works.

I don't include time I spend looking at fabrics, but start my timing from when I start to press the fabric (I haven't pre-washed any of my fabrics). It includes pressing, cutting, piecing, and quilting. I end when I tie off and hide the thread for that last binding stitch. I don't count washing it when it's done, since I can do other things during that time.

Grinch quilt-- machine pieced/quilted, 24 hours 45 minutes (Started November 27, 2016, finished December 4 at 3:40 am)

Son's blue/black Christmas quilt-- machine pieced/quilted, 20 hours 30 minutes (started December 21, finished December 25 at 11 pm)

Baby quilt with bears-- Three hand pieced fabrics (panel and a top and bottom), hand quilted, 105 hours 30 minutes. May need to go back and add more quilting to be within my 8" quilting space, if so, I will add that time later. (for now... started July 6, 2016, finished January 18, 2017 at 3:05 pm)

I already have over 45 hours in on my current quilt, a baby quilt with a castle, knights, and dragons.

I often watch a show while I quilt, and sometimes have to pause it to go do something. I can use the time of the show as my quilting time in those cases.

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 01-29-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 PM

I have kept track of some quilts cause I do both long arm quilting and make t-shirt quilts. T-shirt quilts will take about 30 hrs (-/+5 hrs) from the designing to the sewing down binding on the back by hand. Think that sounds high, but I do usually end up cutting 3 times--initial just to get t-shirt apart, then to get the rough cut so I can stablize, then the trim for piecing. I have also kept track of time on how long it takes to do some custom quilting on a few quilts and found that it truly does justify my custom charge! One for daughter that took lots of marking was 30 hrs for a queen size; another for a large lap size, but dense, modern quilting, took about the same.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:15 PM

Funny this thread came up today...I just finished putting the binding on a wall hanging that has 9 hand embroidered blocks (simple blocks nothing too fancy) and I hand quilted all but the outline of each block. My DH asked me how many hours I had put into it and I of course have no idea. I actually did the embroidery back in 2008 or 9. Anyway, he wants me to try and keep track of my next project just out of curiosity. I will keep track of the next project I start, but right now I am working on my UFO pile so my "time" won't be accurate.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:41 PM

I gave started this year, keeping a journal, logging how much time I spend a day cutting, sewing, sandwiching, and quilting. I never used to do this, but one of the girls in my quilting group did this and it's surprising how much time you spend, even just doing an hour here and there.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:10 AM

It would be to much trouble to keep up with my time because I have to many interruptions.