Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to make it? >

How long did it take you to make it?

How long did it take you to make it?

Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 AM

I usually keep a log book for the quilts I work on. I rarely work on more than one project at a time, however, am usually asked the question "How long did that take you?" I will include the project time as part of the label info.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 AM

I used to belong to a guild before our move. We were officially a charity organization, and for tax purposes we were asked to report the hours spent on the quilts we donated. It took a concerted effort for me to keep track because up until that time it was a hobby and clock-watching wasn't part of that picture. I would keep a sheet of paper and a clock near where I was working and write the time as I started and stopped work. I was always surprised how much time it actually takes to make even the simplest, easiest small quilt.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 AM

I love your beautiful quilt.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 AM

I've made and hand quilted more than 10 King sized quilts in my life time, and people have asked me that question and or waited for their delivery (loved ones, not customers) and it is always about 18 months. Now that all their beds are covered in their favorite colors and patterns, I am off doing charity quilts and throws. Today I am taking a queen sized scrap (for me) quilt to a LA, and my husband is "what?????". But right now, I like cutting and sewing, and using my stash, and a baby shower is just around the corner, and my granddaughter wants to learn to sew, and I have other priorities, so leave me alone and don't judge me....it's a hobby.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:05 PM

I often work on 2 quilts at a time, one is a leader and ender.
Sharon
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 PM

Since I work on my quilts in fits and spurts there's no real way to track how long it took. I finished several the week before Christmas, but some of them were already sandwiched and glue or pin basted. Only one wasn't at least a completed top and it was ready to sew the squares together.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I've made and hand quilted more than 10 King sized quilts in my life time, and people have asked me that question and or waited for their delivery (loved ones, not customers) and it is always about 18 months. Now that all their beds are covered in their favorite colors and patterns, I am off doing charity quilts and throws. Today I am taking a queen sized scrap (for me) quilt to a LA, and my husband is "what?????". But right now, I like cutting and sewing, and using my stash, and a baby shower is just around the corner, and my granddaughter wants to learn to sew, and I have other priorities, so leave me alone and don't judge me....it's a hobby.
Wow, Jane! You have more than earned the right to pursue your projects exactly as you choose!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:27 AM

I've been too lazy to keep track of all time that goes into a quilt. I think it would be interesting to do -- from design time to last binding stitch -- but I just haven't done it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 AM

I have only kept track of one thing, an art quilt. It took over 40 hours to complete. I wanted to keep track for myself. I have always been curious to see, but I would hate the math. I sit down for 10 minutes to hours at a time and work on several projects. Kudos to you who are organized enough to keep track. Whenever anyone asks me how long, I reply. Longer than you think.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I take as long as I need and enjoy the journey. Having a place to leave my machine in place and fabric as neat or messy as I want helps. I don't measure this in time spent or number of items made but rather as level of enjoyment.
This is so me! I used to get all wrapped up in having to do more and be more productive. Now, other than an occasional gift, I make things as I can and enjoy the ride. I get as much done as I need to and when I'm not feeling well, I don't feel guilty about watching TV or reading all day. Life is for enjoying. End of the day they are not gonna put on your tombstone that you completed (insert number) of quilts in your lifetime and it was more than Mary Jane did!