Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many yards in precuts? >

How many yards in precuts?

How many yards in precuts?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Default How many yards in precuts?

I saw a chart recently that gave the number of yards in each precut: jellyroll, layer cake, charm pack, etc. but can't find it now (when I'd like to use it) and can't seem to find that information online. I know what they are, just want to know how many yards are in each without doing all the math. Has anyone seen such a chart? Thank you.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
I saw a chart recently that gave the number of yards in each precut: jellyroll, layer cake, charm pack, etc. but can't find it now (when I'd like to use it) and can't seem to find that information online. I know what they are, just want to know how many yards are in each without doing all the math. Has anyone seen such a chart? Thank you.
I just get paper and pencil out!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM

42-43" is 1 1/6 of a yard. So each piece of a jelly roll is that long.

10 x 10 is 100 square inches. A yard of 42" is 1512 sq. inches, so about 15 layer cake pieces equals a yard. You can't cut 15 out of a yard---but for square inches that would be the count.

Charms are 5" square, right? so that is 25 square inches. 4 of these make one 10" x 10" so 60 of them equal one yard. Again you can't cut them that way, but--------------

Or do you want the info this way.

A yard of fabric would yield 14 strips of a jelly roll----perfect cutting ------with a dab left over.

A yard of fabric would yield 4 across and 3 down layer cakes (12)-------with about 6" left over.

A yard of fabric would yield 8 charms across and 7 down or 56 charms with a inch left over if you're perfect.

And of course, 4 FQ's make a yard.

ALL BASED ON 42" wide fabric.

Tell me how many pieces are in each and I'll tell you how many yards.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Thank you this does help but the chart I was looking for gave the yardage in standard size precuts. For example x number of yards in a standard 42-squares layer cake. And it gave that information for all of the precuts. I believe it then went on to give the number of layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc. that you might need to make a baby quilt, lap quilt, etc.
I thought it came in an email but now that I think of it, it's possible that I saw it in preview pages for a quilt book on Amazon. Wish my memory was better!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM

I recall seeing that chart too. I have No idea where! Maybe someone else will recall where it was at.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
Thank you this does help but the chart I was looking for gave the yardage in standard size precuts. For example x number of yards in a standard 42-squares layer cake. And it gave that information for all of the precuts. I believe it then went on to give the number of layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc. that you might need to make a baby quilt, lap quilt, etc.
I thought it came in an email but now that I think of it, it's possible that I saw it in preview pages for a quilt book on Amazon. Wish my memory was better!

You tell me how many pieces in each bunch and I'll tell you the yardage
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Is it one of these?

http://pinterest.com/arizonagirl/hel...d-information/
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

As Grannie Annie implies, there is no standard number of strips or squares in a jelly roll, charm pack or layer cake, so you really can't give a yardage on a 'jelly roll'. Some have 20, some 40 or more. I know I've seen the reverse, how many charms can you cut from a yard of fabric...

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...s-in-yard.html
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM

I got this from Moda. There are other measurements listed too.

http://www.unitednotions.com/measure...ck-cutting.pdf
http://www.unitednotions.com/measure...ting-chart.pdf
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

I thought I replied earlier but don't know what became of it. There are some great charts listed here but not the one that I saw. I did find the information when trying to search for a list of precuts but still haven't found the chart with the additional information. http://www.quiltwithmo.com/fabric-terms.htm