Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many yards in precuts? >

How many yards in precuts?

How many yards in precuts?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 PM

AHA! While looking for a list of all of them, I found some information, not the chart at a site called QuiltwithMo! I'd still like to have the chart as there was some additional information. Grannie Annie, thanks again. You can check and see if you come out with the same figures!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Awesome thank you!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
As Grannie Annie implies, there is no standard number of strips or squares in a jelly roll, charm pack or layer cake, so you really can't give a yardage on a 'jelly roll'. Some have 20, some 40 or more. I know I've seen the reverse, how many charms can you cut from a yard of fabric...

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...s-in-yard.html

I don't generally use the different pre-cuts so I'm unfamiliar with how many pieces are in each---------but I know they vary at times.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
AHA! While looking for a list of all of them, I found some information, not the chart at a site called QuiltwithMo! I'd still like to have the chart as there was some additional information. Grannie Annie, thanks again. You can check and see if you come out with the same figures!

I just checked a couple and they were on the dot or very close. What posters need to know, however, is that the total yardage of a package of precuts may equal close to 2 3/4 for layer cakes but you have to take into account that you probably won't be able to cut that number from 2 3/4. 2 3/4 yd equal 99" and that would yield only 9 rows of 4 each 10" squares and you'd be shy on the tenth row.

So, can I ask a dumb question? Why are the total yardages important? You're going to lose twice as much to seams using 5" squares as you would 10" squares. And with the standard 2.5" jelly rolls, you're going to lose the .5 to seams and have just 2" times 40 rows or 80" which is a bit less than 2.25 yards finished.

I think what I'm trying to say is if you're thinking a finished quilt would be 96" square (8'x8' or if you prefer 2 2/3 yards long by 2 2/3 wide) the actual amount of fabric is going to depend on how many & what size your pieces will be.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

a yard of fabric is (about) 36" x 40" usable fabric---so charm squares (5") you can get 7 across (= 35") x 8 down= (40")
so...56 squares in a yard (7x8)
jelly roll strips are 2 1/2" wide---so you can get 14 strips from a yard (35" x 40")
layer cakes are 10" squares---so 3X4= 12 squares in a yard (30" x 40")
Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I just checked a couple and they were on the dot or very close. What posters need to know, however, is that the total yardage of a package of precuts may equal close to 2 3/4 for layer cakes but you have to take into account that you probably won't be able to cut that number from 2 3/4. 2 3/4 yd equal 99" and that would yield only 9 rows of 4 each 10" squares and you'd be shy on the tenth row.

So, can I ask a dumb question? Why are the total yardages important? You're going to lose twice as much to seams using 5" squares as you would 10" squares. And with the standard 2.5" jelly rolls, you're going to lose the .5 to seams and have just 2" times 40 rows or 80" which is a bit less than 2.25 yards finished.

I think what I'm trying to say is if you're thinking a finished quilt would be 96" square (8'x8' or if you prefer 2 2/3 yards long by 2 2/3 wide) the actual amount of fabric is going to depend on how many & what size your pieces will be.
I agree with GrannieAnnie. Calculating how many 5" charms or 2.5" strips are in a 36" x 42" yard of material is easy, but I'm not sure why one would need to know, unless you were participating in a swap, or wanted to know what would give you more fabric for your money.

I love precuts because of the lovely variety I can get, which satisfies my need for more, more, more bits of fabric, but I am also well aware that if I could tame myself into doing two- or three-colour quilts, they would be much more economical to make, LOL.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Never a dumb question. The reason I want to know this is that sometimes I've seen patterns or directions (for example Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Company) and that will say "use one jelly roll and one layer cake". I wanted to know how much yardage that would be in case I wanted to cut my own. Some of the patterns might need the 42 inches of running yardage at 2 1/2 but others clearly don't. It is just a way of being able to tell if I could substitute some of the material I have for what they require. I realize that with cutting things won't be the same- turning a fat quarter into 10 inch squares isn't very efficient, but there are times when it would work for me. Thank you for checking the figures!

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I love pre cuts too. I have baskets of them sitting in my sewing room. They make great sewing room decoration until they are used. It's just something about having a stack of fat quarters, charm squares and layer cakes that gets me inspired and motivated. My basket of jelly rolls makes me smile every time I see it.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
Never a dumb question. The reason I want to know this is that sometimes I've seen patterns or directions (for example Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Company) and that will say "use one jelly roll and one layer cake". I wanted to know how much yardage that would be in case I wanted to cut my own. Some of the patterns might need the 42 inches of running yardage at 2 1/2 but others clearly don't. It is just a way of being able to tell if I could substitute some of the material I have for what they require. I realize that with cutting things won't be the same- turning a fat quarter into 10 inch squares isn't very efficient, but there are times when it would work for me. Thank you for checking the figures!

In that case, you do need to take into account that IF you cut your own, you won't get quite as much as the total yardage of a package implies.

The next time you get a package of anything, lay out your strips (side by side, not end to end) and find a long measuring tape -----a good metal one would be long enough. Then take note as to how long your pieces are when laid side by side. What you might do, is use scrap paper and write a note in the middle that 40 jelly roll strips total to 100" A bit more than 2 3/4 yard. Grab your camera and take a snapshot.

Do the same with other precuts. With the charms at 5" you can get 8 across and then make 5 rows----------measure that. (40 pieces, right?) A bit less than 3/4 of a yard.

The layer cakes you can lay out 4 across-----total 40"
Then 10 rows. (40, again?) again, a bit more than 2 3/4 of a yard.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Great idea, Grannie Annie. Thanks!