Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement? >

How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement?

How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 AM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this discussion. I agree with everyone else--tastes change and the more modern fabrics catch your eye. I had a large stash that I gave away since there were so many--what was I thinking fabrics that I didn't like anymore. Stash cash so you can spend without guilt. Things that you like today may be ugly to you in 5 years. Buy a little tone on tone fabrics, but have a stash of money to be used just for fabrics after you retire. The urge to shop won't go away you know.
Sue
Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
It took me an entire lifetime to get enough.....now my goal is not to die until I have used it all....
You and me both! I need to live to 112, and that's making a quilt a week until then.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 AM

I like the idea of saving the money now, because styles, interests and colors change. I have a friend who retired a couple years ago with 3 closests, 1 a double wide, and under beds full of fabric and supplies. I honestly don't know if anyone could use up the amount of fabric she has. And some of the stuff in the back of her closet is the "what where you thinking? Why did you buy this?" type of fabric. We can't find anything to go with it, so we throw it back and wait to see if something will come along that works with it.

And she still finds sales now that she has time to hunt for them. She'll take a road trip someplace 1-2 hrs away with a couple of friends and buy more fabric.

I'm not stocking up for retirement, granted I still have a few years for retirement, but I buy fabric and supplies when it's on sale-stores, friends, yardsales.

When I hear people talking about this subject, it makes me sad. I sew with a group and we received a huge donation of fabrics from a family. Their mother had stocked up on fabrics to make charity quilts when she retired. Shortly after she retired she was diagnosed with cancer and died within a year. She never got to make all those things. Seriously she had a ton of fabric. Our group received 2 large car loads (fully packed, floor boards to roof) worth of wonderful quilting fabrics, the family wanted to share the wealth among all the charity groups in our area.

Take the time now to sew every day if it's something you enjoy. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes, do a little bit now because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Don't wait for retirement to do the things you love. Which isn't what you asked about...but I thought I'd jump on the ol' soap box for a minute.

Last edited by charity-crafter; 09-04-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 AM

Been quilting for about 12 years. Bought fab when on sale not knowing what I would do with it or if I had anything to go with it at home. Now have 24 66 qt containers of fab. I'm 62 think I'm done buying fab for awhile. Putting money aside to mail quilts/tops to my charities...Quilts for Kids and Quilts of Valor...any buy thread and batting. I remind my husband every 6 mo who to contact when it comes to the point I can't sew anymore.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 AM

I plan to retire in 2 years. Have been stocking up on fabrics and bought a new sewing machine but didn,t think about neutrals and batting!

I gave myself this year to spend on quilting stuff. The next two years will be stashing cash and paying off the house. Money will be very tight ehen I retire - it's just me.

But thanks ladies - I have three more months for neutrals and batting,
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 AM

I love this thread. Our quilt club got the "leftovers" of two members after they had died. Truckloads! We all shared. Paid a little for it, and our club made a little money.

Someone gave the 4-H at least a truckload of fabric. The leaders doled out lots of it to the Quilt Camp members and others, but I got the really last leftovers because I make charity quilts, and use anything in them. Well almost anything. Some of it I really didn't like and sent it to Jamaica. People training to fly planes need a loaded plane to "practice" with, so they load the plane with things the people in Jamaica can use. There is always some place to send your real ugly stuff. There is a Christian Appellation Project in Kentucky, too.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I didn't start quilting until 5 years after retirement. I had to hurry to catch up, but I think I made it.
Although I began quilting shorty after retiring I've been hurrying to catch up too, LOL!
I do have to say that I've sort of lost interest in going to quilt shows but that is mainly because of arthritis in my knees and I have cut down on stockpiling fabrics as I've sort of run out of room but that doesn't stop me from occasionally buying more fabric. One thing I didn't stockpile was lots of energy. May in Jersey

Last edited by May in Jersey; 09-04-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
.... I'm 62 think I'm done buying fab for awhile. Putting money aside to mail quilts/tops to my charities...Quilts for Kids and Quilts of Valor...any buy thread and batting. I remind my husband every 6 mo who to contact when it comes to the point I can't sew anymore.
If you save your receipts, you can use them for tax purposes because you are supporting an official charity, if you itemize. I take photos of all my quilts that I donate and include a copy in our yearly tax files along with the receipts as donations. It can only be for the actual materials used on to make the quilts. Not the estimated value of the finished quilt, or time and labor. I think it includes shipping expenses. Check with who ever does your taxes.

Last edited by charity-crafter; 09-04-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 AM

I'm with Dunster!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM

I don't know when I started stashing but its more than 30 yrs.I just made quilts for my 3 GDs and they all chose fabrics that were bought back when Singers and Woolworths sold fabrics. As in fashion it all comes back in style,eventually...But I'm with Deborahlees I can't depart while there is so much as a yard in my stash