Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you buy? >

How much fabric do you buy?

How much fabric do you buy?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 AM

Just the other day I saw another quote. "She who dies with the most fabric isn't quilting fast enough." LoveLove it!
Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
I need to clarify, I'm somewhat new to this obsession of quilting, too. So when I see some fabric that I'd like to make a quilt from someday, I never know how much I'm gonna need for whatever pattern I decide on. That's why I buy too much. By the way, I'm a contender for the top spot in "She who dies with the most fabric, WINS".
Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

My usual cut is 1 yard. If I'm pretty sure I will want to use the fabric as a border, I buy 3 yards. The only time I buy more yardage than that is if I want to use the fabric for a backing. (I should mention that I buy almost all my fabric when it is on sale at a local fabric outlet, which means batiks are about $7 a yard. When I need a lot of yardage for muslin, applique background, etc. I usually purchase that from either fabric.com or from Hancock's of Paducah when they have their annual sale. I don't buy much fabric at $12/yard!)

The 1 yard cuts of batiks I have are becoming a nice stash, plus they fold nicely for storage by color.

I have found over time that I really don't care much for fat quarters. If I love the fabric, it's not enough and I am afraid of using it all up by cutting into it. If I don't love the fabric, it sits around way too long because it doesn't suit any of my projects. The 1-yard cuts work well for me because I have enough of the fabric that I'm not afraid to use it, but I don't end up with yards of it 10 years later (and I have some of that) after my taste in fabric has changed.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM

I usually buy 1 yard pieces of fabrics that call to me. Sometimes I'll run across a fabric that I think will make a great backing and buy 2 yards of it (I make square 48" x 48" quilts). If I'm buying the 1 yard and it turns out that it's the end of the bolt, then I will buy the entire piece. This method of purchasing sometimes means that I'm totally out of a fabric that I've decided to use for sashing and need to run back to the wholesale fabric warehouse where I do most of my shopping. And after I've enlisted the help of the owner, not being able to find it, he then says "why didn't you buy enough in the first place?" and I've had to explain that a lot of us buy fabric with no clue what we're going to do with it.

At this point, it's a darn good thing I have a large stash because I was laid off from my job this week and have been able to spend my time making perfect applique circles for some future project.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM

When I started I would be skimpy and buy two yards. I would have to hunt down the same fabric to buy more / b
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM

When I started I would be skimpy and buy two yards. I would have to hunt down the same fabric to buy more. So now I buy 3 yards and that works good.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM

If there is a particular line of fabric that I just can't leave the store without, I will buy enough of that line for basically a queen quilt. Otherwise, I have been trying to just buy for a project. My stash is basically nice scraps and a few just had to haves!! :-) I have some really beautiful patriotic fabrics that I have had for 2 years and just now working at finding a project for them. My best quilting friend only buys for specific patterns and she still has a nice stash and we usually make pretty 'bags' from our leftovers. Have fun - you'll find what works for you.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I used to buy 1 yd if I liked it, 2 yards if I loved it, 3 yards if I can't live without it or 5 -7 yards if it is slated for backing. Now my cupboards are full and I have scaled back to only buy when a project is missing something or I may pick up some charms or FQs here and there. The passion has turned into an obsession and I don't want to end up on TV on one of those hoarder shows.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Me, too. Just what I need. Even then its surprising how quickly a small stash can grow!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM

I usually buy 2-3 yds. If I buy pre cuts, then I look for something to go with it and then I buy 1 yd. If I see a print that calls my name then I'll buy at least 3 yds. (unfortuneately I have seen waaaaaay too many of those....)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:15 PM

I like quilts that use lots and lots of different fabrics so I don't need much of each individual one. I buy only with specific projects in mind and get 1/2 to 1 yd of most fabrics unless I plan to use it for a border or background. I am just starting out though.