Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much fabric do you buy?

This is probably a really dumb question but here goes anyway. When you go into a fabric store and you see fabric that you like but you don't have a specific pattern in mind or one you are working from, how much fabric do you buy?

I keep finding things that I like but I'm new to quilting and I don't always have a pattern in mind or one that I'm working from and I don't know how much to buy. Then I just end up leaving without buying it because I'm afraid I won't get enough or I'll end up with way too much.

What is a good amount to buy?

Thanks!

Depends on if you like quilts with say five patterns to them or ones with mixed patterns but similiar color schemes. When I dont have a project in mind to appease my fabric urge I buy 1/2 yrd pieces or 1 yrd at the most so that I have something I enjoyed and will one day find a use for it. Be more frugal? buy a fat quarter of something.. usually I do mixed fabrics in my quilts so this works. You dont want to end up with 3 yrds of something you might never touch because there is no project that comes to mind. Maybe shop patterns instead? window shopping those in a quilt store is awfully fun too.

If I'm shopping with no pattern in mind and I see a fabric I like I usually get 1yd, especially if I think I can use in a scrappy quilt, if I really, really love the fabric I get 3yds (I attach a note with place, name and date), if it's a fabric that might look good as backing I usually get 5 yds (again, can cut up for futue scrappy quilt). I tend to not buy FQ b/c of the price.
    Just my shopping ideas; but shopping for patterns may be the way to go until you build up your stash for that scrappy in the future :) :)

I usually buy 0.5 metres, that's just over half a yard I think. If I really really love the fabric, or it's a really good offer, I might get 1 metre.

Nicole

Blog Entries
    The first time I bought less than a yard, DH was surprised. He thought 1 yd was a minimum cut. Now, I have a sizeabe stash, I may just pick up a fat quarter. It all depends. Neutrals or blenders, 1/2 to 1 yard. Beautiful prints 3 yds. Something that might be a backing 5-ish yards. Fabric with special panel prints, I count the repeats and get at least 2 repeats.

I go through spurts when I buy very little and then I'll go hog wild.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    If I really, really love the fabric I get 3yds
    That is my rule of thumb, 3 yards but if all they have left is up to 5 I will buy it all. That way I know I will have enough to do a project and then I will always have a bit left over for something else.

But I do not think I would buy anything less than a yard to be safe.

Billy

Thank you everyone! You've been such a big help. Now I won't feel like I have to have a pattern in order to buy my fabric. You all are a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks again!

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    I don't buy FQ I usually get 3 yds or whatever they might have if it is under 3. If I love the fabric it is a crap shot as to how much I buy. When I use to be able to go out and hit the sales if it was a really good quality fabric super cheap I would buy it all. The only time I have purchased small amounts is in remanents.

Gee, My rule of thumb is "You can never buy too much fabric!" :mrgreen:

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoSews
    Gee, My rule of thumb is "You can never buy too much fabric!" :mrgreen:

I like your rule I think I will make it one of my golden rules.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast