Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you buy? >

How much fabric do you buy?

How much fabric do you buy?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm just starting out so I don't have a stash to speak of...initially I bought a bunch of FQs just so I'd have a variety for a scrappy lap quilt for my MIL...but now have a couple of pieces that are over a yard...not much else tho...YET!! :wink:

Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM

It depends, is it on sale? If on sale, then buy several yards...you can use for a project and then for scrappy quilt!
I do buy FQ's, but when I see quality fabric at a great sale price, then buy at least 2 yds...you can use for projects, or backing for small wall hangings. 1 yd may not be enough, especially if you plan on a few scrappy quilt projects....I usually buy at least 2 yds of 'sale' fabric.
Kindes Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
It depends, is it on sale? If on sale, then buy several yards...you can use for a project and then for scrappy quilt!
Good point that the rules go out the window with sales :D
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 AM

When it is a fabric that I really like I never buy less than 3 yards and usually more. :oops: If it is something that I kinda like, I buy at least a fat quarter to throw into a scrap quilt! I mean, you can never have enough fabric or enough variety. And as far as our DH's are concerned, it is better for their health and mental wellbeing if they DON'T know how much we have in our stashes :!: :!:
Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM

If it is a focus fabric, I always buy 3.5 yards so I can make one piece borders, and use the remaining in any blocks I decide to use.

If it is a complimentary fabric with a design I like, I tend to get 2 yards.

If it is a great backing fabric and on sale, then I buy six yards.

Because I make many patriotic themed quilts, I usually tend to stick to that type of fabric when I see it on sale. However, I am "accidentally" buidling and very large stash of gorgeous oriental fabric, and I hate the thoughts of cutting it!! No design in mind yet, but lots of thoughts, and plenty of fabric to work with! Most are three yard pieces.

I tend to keep my quilts to between three to four fabrics, so and I keep small swatches in my car in a plastic bag so that I always have a sample available when shopping.

Diane
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 AM

I have been buying just what I need to complete a project. I'm slowly working to get a stash and I'm trying to collect Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I can't find them in town but once a month I've been visiting a quilt shop not too far away that has them and I buy "one-yard cuts" of a few that I like. I figure by the time I get through with some other commitments that I'll have enough to do a couple of nice scrappy type quilts just for me!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:35 PM

Momosews, I love the way you think. Yes, you can never have too much fabric. I generally buy a yard if I see something that really catches my eye. I also try to think of what color group I'm getting short supply of. My have about 14 bins and supposedly (that's the original plan) they are grouped in colors. Lately I'm getting low on creams and tans, so you know what that means?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:45 PM

when I started quilting years ago, I would buy fabric because I liked it and someday I would make something, well quess what, I still have fabric not used and no longer care for as much. I plan on going thru and putting all the stuff in a box that I no longer like and will use it for charity quilts , someone will be happy. now I buy only 1 yard or 1/2 yard even if its calling me!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Great Question Lissy!!! I have often wondered the same thing!! :shock: I know it seems that we can never have enough fabric...but I want to have enough at any given time that I am ready to use it...and/or I don't want to pass up that great deal or wonderful fabric I fell in love with but have no idea what to do with it! However, I also have a budget?

Thanks for everyones posts!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Yes, that is true our stashes can get overwhelming and buying 1yd or less makes sense; however, I've run into this problem....when finally putting together the quilt, most borders, inner and outer, require at least 1.5 yds of fabric, so then you won't have enough to do a continuous border. While I love scrappy borders, depending on the quilt, sometimes you need 1 fabric for the border; otherwise it's too scrappy. Now that your fabric is no longer available at the stores, you have to search online and sometimes that can be pricey.
So if you can, purchase at least 1.5 yds of fabric that would be great for borders. And if you find a great sale, that's when to buy the backing fabric.
If you've got an outrageous stash, go to www.quiltville.com, Bonnie's got some great scrappy quilts that will use up any stash.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna