Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How/why did you start quilting? >

How/why did you start quilting?

How/why did you start quilting?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:02 PM

I have been making my own clothes for 55 years, but I never had any desire or intent to make a quilt. Six years ago my sister moved from California to Texas, mainly to be near me. She is a quilter and I went to a few guild meetings with her, just to be a supportive sister. I knew I didn't have enough patience to quilt and didn't want to mess with it.

She teaches quilt workshops, and I signed up for her first workshop here, a Learn to Quilt class, again to be supportive. She was still new to town, and I wanted her to have a full workshop. Within months I was hooked and have been happily hooked ever since. Guess I am more patient that I thought I was.

Dina
Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Dina,
I've never understood the remark when people say "I don't have enough patience to quilt."
They probably go to work don't they? They cook? They pay the bills? Make the bed? Watch series on TV?
Lands I hardly do any of those things unless I'm required to () and have always thought I was ONE of the least patient people in the world! Yet I quilt.

It has never been about patience for me: I quilt because I HAVE to!! To play with color; to be happy; to feel the creative juices flow; to still my soul. It's wonderful, as you're finding out!

Jan in VA
Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I started with sewing my own clothes waaayyyy back in high school, based on need! Once I married and had kids, I made most of their shorts and pants, pajamas, and some shirts. I expanded to curtains and drapes then finally made the leap to quilting. It fell away in the 80's when life got in the way. Retired in 09, and started up again. I enjoy the creative process. Don't do much anymore with clothing, unless it's alterations, or repairs.
this is almost my exact story except in the 80s I learned to make quilt blocks for pillows. (That was what our teacher sold.). In 2000 my last two children left for college and I looked at all the hobby classes I took and decided I liked quilting the best. Dived in and have not looked back. Retired in 2013 and have many friends from quilting!!! Running out of family to give quilts too.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:34 PM

I started sewing when I was a child. I made clothes for years. I got married switched careers and went from wearing a uniform to having to have office type clothes. It was the 80's, suits were in, we were broke. I started making things to wear to work. I did a lot of tailoring. Then we started our own business. No more suits. I had joined an American Sewing Guild neighborhood group and was introduced to wearable art. I took some classes and realized how much piecing could transfer to wearable art. Eventually, I made the leap and made a quilt. Or 2. Now I do wearable art and quilts both.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:01 PM

I have been a counted cross stitcher since I was 18 but have mixed in other crafts through out the years. My mother-in-law got into quilting and I asked her to make a quilt for my step-mom. She insisted that I make at least one block on the quilt. After that I was hooked. I still try and cross stitch by as my eyesight has gotten worse, I find myself quilting more and more. My husband said I am no longer allowed to "play with his mom."
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 PM

I've been sewing since I was around 10. I learned on my Mom's Singer threadle making doll clothes.(Oh, I wish I still had it) I remember as a young girl my Dad sawed off all the side drawers and it upset me so much, they were carved and the cabinet was beautiful. WHY ? Don't remember sewing much until High School and took Home Ec. (my favorite class) . I remember making a tailored riding jacket that a friend wore in shows. Quilting starting in the mid 70's when I made my husband (then just dating) a quilt with 4" sq's on front & back. Basted batting and then sewed it right sides together, turned it right side out and tied it. And I used cotton/poly fabric and many old cut up dresses from my grandmother, which ended up tearing apart. Had no clue with I was doing. Made a few more in same fashion. Then years went by with life (marriage, kids..etc). I've always made valances and made dresses for my daughter. Then had my surprise baby at 40 and when he was little I did some babysitting of neighborhood kids. When he was in Pre-K one friends asked me if I wanted to "help" her make a queen size quilt for our schools fundraiser. I said OK. It ended up my job. She helped some, but worked and didn't have much time. It was a disaster...we had the wrong measurements, didn't have enough fabric, then realized it was way too large. I had to remove part of it and then she said...Oh, we're going to hand quilt it. I said what ?? Are you on drugs ?? It was a Grandma's fan and came out beautiful. Well, anyways the next 4 years I made the Octoberfest donation quilt all by myself. The school raffled them and made around $1000-$1500 on each of them. And yes..I hand quilted them all. Over the years I've made more and many baby quilts. I also have done alterations for almost 25 years, so quilting sometimes goes on the back burner.I also have 3 grandkids. We are downsizing from a 3000 sq. ft. house to a twin villa with under 1500 sq. ft. so I should have more time. I love quilting & sewing in general. Hope this isn't too long....LOL
Old 01-23-2016, 02:43 PM

I love reading all the stories. I am still in my first year or two of quilting.

I learned to sew with my mom when I was little. As an adult, I bought my 1st "good" sewing machine 2 years ago with the intention of making clothes, and got super frustrated (I'm a plus size and I have to draft/alter all my patterns to fit). In the meantime, a quilt store I drove by had lots of really adorable fabric and I thought, "What can I do with this?" I made some purses and bags and really enjoyed the process.

Then I picked up some Amy Butler and liked it so much I made a quilt out of it, which I gave to my grandmother. I liked making the quilt for her because she lives far away, and it was like giving her a hug. That is the first quilt I ever made (started in 2014) and I have made 5 more since! This year I joined one of those "fabric of the month" clubs and I hope to make some charity quilts.