Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How/why did you start quilting? >

How/why did you start quilting?

How/why did you start quilting?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 AM

I have been sewing all of my life - now in my early 60's - but only started quilting about 10 years ago. It all started when hubby decided that he was going to lose weight and I said that I would make him a shirt using an hawaiian print.

He lost the weight and I made the shirt - but this shirt did not turn out well. I have used the pattern before with no problem. It hung around for many weeks on a door while I tried to fix it but to no avail. So I had one of those light bulb moments in the middle of the night and decided to cut up the fabric into 42 little shirts and make a quilt out of it as I hate fabric waste.

I had never made a quilt before and just "did it". Since then I have been hooked and learnt sooooo much - especially from this Board.

It is interesting reading everyone story.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM

I initially began to learn a new skill. I grew up sitting next to my Momma and her treadle machine. My daddy bought her a very expensive machine when I was ten, and she made all of our clothes. She became our 4-H leader and taught many of us how to sew. Funny thing she never made quilts. I took it up to become more detail oriented and boy have I learned TONS!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM

I learned to sew when I was very young, my Grandmother used to make Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls and sold them to make Christmas money. I traced her patterns one Summer vacation and brought them home. I must have learned to use a machine from her, although I don’t remember her teaching me. I can remember doing sewing projects now and again and learned to sew clothes in Home Ec in middle school. Mom had an old black Singer that I used and later she brought a Bernina. I have photos of myself in outfits I know my mother sewed for me but she must have done her sewing while I was in school because I don’t have memories of watching her do it!

When my kids were young I sewed for them, and made doll clothes, did mending or alterations for friends. Three years ago I offered to make a quilt square for a group project that was dog related and would be appliqued. I’ve always felt more comfortable with hand work, so I knew if I couldn’t handle it on my machine I could always stitch it by hand. I enjoyed making the square and also being a part of the group.

Then the vintage bug hit. I got really into finding, fixing and tinkering with vintage sewing machines. Dad still had mom’s Bernina and we found the old Singer in the garage! No one else wanted them, so I brought them both home. My dentist’s receptionist called when I got back from my visit and told me about a family that needed to get rid of some old sewing machines. The father had been into tinkering too and had recently passed. Long story short, I ended up with a lot of sewing machines.

I decided to learn to quilt because I felt guilty having so many sewing machines and not sewing anything! That was 2014. That year I made my first quilt from start to finish. Last year I made a few more tops and bought a quilting frame, also an unplanned move. I wasn’t even 100% sure exactly how you use one, but I was sure I needed it and it was a bargain lol!

Having finished one quilt now on the frame I know I made a good choice and this year the plan is to get better at it!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

well I've always sewn. made scarfs, then embroidered things. then made clothing for myself and my son. Then later on made aprons, coats and jackets and kitchen items and such. then tried quilts. first one was made of four patches sewn together and batting placed inside. Then put together with a zig zag stitch, sort of quilt as you go. Was a reversible queen size. put buttons on each side of the four patches too. Made a big puffy type quilt. Not my style now at all though.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:46 PM

I watched my Grandmother quilt when I was small, and oh how different it is today, but she was my inspiration.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:49 AM

My mother made a beautiful DWR top for me. We selected the fabric together and she worked on it for months. Her twin, my aunt, planned to quilt it for me but her husband became ill and died. Her health failed and the quilt top languished in a box in the closet.

About 3 years after mother died I took it out and decided to learn to piece and quilt so I could do justice to the top she had lovingly pieced. I took a class and got hooked. A couple years later I learned to hand quilt and became fairly proficient.

It is still a WIP, but I take it out and work on it occasionally. A queen size DWR requires lots of quilting! However I am enjoying the process and thinking about my wonderful mother as I quilt. The quilt is about done now and I will post pics when finished. My sister has learned to quilt, and we spend time together when we can quilting, sharing memories and having a great time!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 AM

I have sewn since I was 10. I was interested in quilting but did not think I had the time, I was working as an oncology nurse. We had a 40+ year old breast cancer patient, stage IV. She was going to make a quilt for her 3 kids and 2 stepchildren before he died. Once she had brain mets she needed help. I decided I should not wait and started, that was 2002. Her daughter, then a senior in high school is still a friend of mine.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bren View Post
My mother made a beautiful DWR top for me. We selected the fabric together and she worked on it for months. Her twin, my aunt, planned to quilt it for me but her husband became ill and died. Her health failed and the quilt top languished in a box in the closet.

About 3 years after mother died I took it out and decided to learn to piece and quilt so I could do justice to the top she had lovingly pieced. I took a class and got hooked. A couple years later I learned to hand quilt and became fairly proficient.

It is still a WIP, but I take it out and work on it occasionally. A queen size DWR requires lots of quilting! However I am enjoying the process and thinking about my wonderful mother as I quilt. The quilt is about done now and I will post pics when finished. My sister has learned to quilt, and we spend time together when we can quilting, sharing memories and having a great time!
What is DWR?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
What is DWR?
Double Wedding Ring
Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 AM

I started working at a job that was BORING in every way, shape or form. I honestly felt like my brain was not being exercised. I was discussing the situation with my mom who was a sewer earlier in her life. She recommended I look into sewing. I took a beginner's sewing class in which we made aprons. I hated it mainly because of having to trace the pattern and changing the seam allowances. Again, I was discussing with my Mom who mentioned she thought quilting only used one seam allowance and didn't require tracing anything. I walked into a quilt shop the next day, verified what my mom said was true and signed up for my first quilt class.

I haven't looked back.