Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this? >

How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

Old 12-15-2016, 06:47 AM

Default How would you quilt this?

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I did that one. It's been awhile but I think I did stitch in the ditch since I didn't want to take away from the directions of the piecing. By the way, did you end up with a curve in the piece when completed? I followed the directions as they were online at the time--said to always begin at the same end when stitching and I ended up with a nice curve toward the end. I didn't use the entire "foundation" but still have that extra with the curve in it to figure out how to use that.

Love your colors--nice job!
Thank you Illinois! I didn't get a curve but I've made bargellos before that I had professionally quilted and one of the patterns I used said to alternate the row stitching so you don't get curves. I've done all of my row piecing that way ever since and haven't had a problem.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 AM

Lovely quilt. On my bargello I quilted following the curves. Just stitch diagonally through the middle of the blocks following the colors. It was really simple, and I think it emphasized the bargello look.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:36 AM

What a beauty!
No help with the quilting, but I'd love to see it when it's done!

Watson
Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Pretty top! For quilting, I'd suggest following the curves of the bargello for quilting~
Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 AM

SID would be beautiful and show off the lines of the Bargello if you stair step the SID along the seams of the Bargello.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Beautiful quilt!! I also love the way you did the back. I will use this idea on ne of my next quilts. Sorry, no quilting advice from me.....that is always a hard part of quilting.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:40 PM

I don't know for sure where longarmers start their quilting but thought it was one side to other. I've seen where people say start from the middle and go out but Harriet Hargrave who is a master domestic machine quilter advocates starting at one side and going to other. I have two of her books and do it her way. Everyone has their own way. Craftsy has a nice class on using your walking foot to quilt. You might give it a look and see if you think it would help you. I enjoyed it.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 PM

Default How would you quilt this?

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
Lovely quilt. On my bargello I quilted following the curves. Just stitch diagonally through the middle of the blocks following the colors. It was really simple, and I think it emphasized the bargello look.
Thank you Shirlin,

My husband thinks I should do this too--think I will practice on a piece and then see how it goes.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
SID would be beautiful and show off the lines of the Bargello if you stair step the SID along the seams of the Bargello.
Thank you Bobbielinks--I hadn't thought of this technique--think I will practice this one too.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
I don't know for sure where longarmers start their quilting but thought it was one side to other. I've seen where people say start from the middle and go out but Harriet Hargrave who is a master domestic machine quilter advocates starting at one side and going to other. I have two of her books and do it her way. Everyone has their own way. Craftsy has a nice class on using your walking foot to quilt. You might give it a look and see if you think it would help you. I enjoyed it.
Thank you jokir44,

I Che's out her website but didn't see any books that specifically addressed machine quilting--i will look on Craftsy to see if I can find the class you mentioned.