Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Humility block...not really

Humility block...not really

I was just finishing up on the fmq on a wall hanging that I had made from a panel when I discovered that the lower left block was upside down! As the panel was a landscape scene that I had cut and framed each section with attic windows and then bordered, I knew that I couldn't finish and hang it like it was as I would always see that upside down block. After spending most of the morning yesterday removing the quilting stitches from the block, and the ditch stitching from all the seam lines, I carefully hand stitched the block back inside the frames and then re-quilted the entire corner. I spend about 6 hours fixing a mistake that I shouldn't have made if I had been more careful with the piecing. Advice to everyone...look carefully at your blocks as you put them together, it saves time and frustration! LOL!

We've all made that mistake. Glad you got it fixed. I usually lay the quilt top out on the floor or tacked to the design wall for a day before quilting it, just so I can (hopefully) spot any mistakes before they're much harder to fix. And sometimes... well, they just have to stay that way.

Power Poster
    It really helps to take a picture too. Sorry you had to frog stitch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    It really helps to take a picture too. Sorry you had to frog stitch.
    I really agree with Tartan on the photo suggestion. For some reason, mistakes really jump out in a photo, probably because you can more easily see the entire quilt as a whole.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Oh, sorry you had to go to all this trouble. I am glad though that you fixed it, because it would have bothered you to know end if you had not. Sometimes the extra effort is just worth it.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    The hurry rule at work here. The closer I get to the finish the more anxious I am to see the finished piece and caution goes out the window.

TAKE A SECOND LOOK!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

hence the duck swimming in the sky--i hve not your patience

I guess I am unusual in that it normally does not bother me in the least. In fact, it usually makes me laugh at myself.

If I catch the mistake early, I will take out some stitching but I have one that got to quilting with a crazy block and I left it.

been there, done that. In fact, I finished the quilt, photographed it, gifted it. Then, I looked again at the photo and BOOM! there was a mistake. and sadly, I did this twice! The second time was on a retreat and NO ONE noticed either! ah well, there but for the grace of god...
    Laurie in NYC

Unless the mistake is glaring, don't worry. The Amish purposely make one mistake on every quilt because they say that only God is perfect!
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast