Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I actually have to 'START" my stash >

I actually have to 'START" my stash

I actually have to 'START" my stash

Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM

Who needs food when they can have fabric?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

What a great system :D:D:D
A suggestion is to by full yards of fabrics that scream your name... 1/2 yds aren't enough usually if you want it for a focal fabric in a quilt :wink:
I buy 1/2 yds to go with my full yards... Don't forget to check out their section of discounted fabrics too :D:D:D
A PBJ sandwich once a week in exchange for fabric sounds like a pretty good deal to me :D:D:D
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 AM

HI FROM A LONG TIME AND BIG STASH QUILTER!
Don't buy too much fabric when you first start, your taste will change as you see more fabric, and get better and better. Finally you'll say when you look at your first fabric purchases....."what was I thinking?" I do think that what you are doing in only buying small quantities is a great idea. I have had to give away so many of the fabrics I first thought were so wonderful.........! You will find that different thread counts make a difference in the fabric finish, the type of dying, etc.
But have FUN and learn about fabric as you go along and discover your favorite fabric companies and types of fabric!
One thing I had problems with is making myself use a beautiful fabric that I think is too good to cut up! What has helped me get over that is that my best friend and quilting partner died with all her beautiful fabric left......I cleaned out her studio and have all her glorious fabric that she was too afraid to actually use! I realize I don't want to die and not have used all her, and my wonderful fabric in a quilt that would be loved by a relative or friend. If you buy it......use it!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen
That's how I felt not too long ago (a year, maybe?), and BOY oh boy have I got a stash started already! Not enough to make a whole quilt out of, as the fabrics just don't go together (even though there's enough to make at least three or four or more that don't go together)... but definitely enough to have fun looking at!
Fabrics are supposed to go together????? lol
I love log cabins and when doing a scrappy log cabin block, my first instructions said to have three paper bags full of scraps - light - medium - dark. You start with your center and then a light, then pull a medium, etc, and you sew whatever you pull out. The logic here (I think) is if it is scrappy it's going to end up somewhere you hadn't planned anyway. I can't actually do that, I do sort of judge my colors, but I have certainly branched out since I got on Quiltville. Now those are scrappy, beautiful quilts. I am the swap hostess of unwashed fabrics at Quiltville swap (we do have a washed hostess also). This month we are doing Chunky Churndash (on Bonnies site) and I love making these cute little blocks, and I got to pick & chose even tho they are scrappy. I made 11 sets (5 different blocks count as a set) and all are different (I made 2 of each, one for me to keep). So when I swap for the other swappers blocks I will have all different blocks in this quilt. This quilt also has a 2 fabric hour glass block to set it and I ran out of fabric - OMG - luckily I found more and ordered it.
Judi
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by A1penny
HI FROM A LONG TIME AND BIG STASH QUILTER!
Don't buy too much fabric when you first start, your taste will change as you see more fabric, and get better and better. Finally you'll say when you look at your first fabric purchases....."what was I thinking?" I do think that what you are doing in only buying small quantities is a great idea. I have had to give away so many of the fabrics I first thought were so wonderful.........! You will find that different thread counts make a difference in the fabric finish, the type of dying, etc.
But have FUN and learn about fabric as you go along and discover your favorite fabric companies and types of fabric!
One thing I had problems with is making myself use a beautiful fabric that I think is too good to cut up! What has helped me get over that is that my best friend and quilting partner died with all her beautiful fabric left......I cleaned out her studio and have all her glorious fabric that she was too afraid to actually use! I realize I don't want to die and not have used all her, and my wonderful fabric in a quilt that would be loved by a relative or friend. If you buy it......use it!
Penny this is certainly a story to share. Since I am an over the top kind of person anyway, I always have more fabric and sewing machines than 5 people need, but.....it keeps me off the streets. lol I use my machines, my fabrics and enjoy them so much.
One thing about fabrics I'd like to share. I know many people buy from JoAnn's, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby - everyone wants a bargain. But much of this fabric is not as good as Quilt shop fabrics. Now you do not have to spend $9-10 dollars a yard to get great fabric. There are many sites and ebay stores that sell top fabrics for as little as $2.99 a yard. Not sure if I should post them - if it's ok I will. Order some of these and compare to the JoAnn's - there is a huge difference - the thread count is not the same, they don't hold the dye the same. I"m not saying all the fabric is like that, but you have to be choosy. One of my first quilts was a foundation pieced pineapple block - purple & green. Most of my fabrics were quilt shop, but I have borders done in a fabric I found at JoAnn's. It was perfect, but I swear I can watch that fabric fade as my top stays bright. You know ladies, these quilts are our legacies. With our quilt labels (hopefully) our family and friends will see our work long after we are gone. It's how some of us will be remembered. I do spread my quilts around - nieces, babies, grand kids, friends, charity. Hopefully they will be loved for a long time. I certainly loved sewing them.
Sorry for being so windy, but I too bought lots of JoAnn's & others, that I ended up gifting to someone. Maybe I'll save someone some $$$ in the long run.
Judi
Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 AM

Don't forget to watch for SALES. There were some great ones before Christmas and now spring sales will start popping up. Decide what you like (brights, batiks, traditional, 1930's, funky, etc.) and pick up good buys when you find them. Before you know it you will be like the rest of us--bulging closets, hidden boxes under beds, stacks in the trunks of our cars. I even have a friend that rents a storage unit for her extra fabric. And then there is the internet........ :lol:
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM

What a great way to spend a lunch. I do buy fabric from Joann's and some quilting stores in the area, however

I have been buying fabric at a site called FABRIC.COM, They are always having a sale and if you purchase $35 or more they ship your order free. I normally find that most online stores charge $6-7 to ship a $35 order. I love free shipping - the savings allows me more $$$ to spend of fabric.

Right now until Feb 1 they are taking an additional 20% off of their clearance fabric.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 AM

I so totally agree with the quality of fabric comments. I know good fabric is expensive but there are always bargains to be had. I like to stock up when our lqs has their end of bolt sales. She also has a sale rack of fabrics that haven't sold. I have picked up some beauties there. I also find fantastic bargains online. But my lqs is still my favorite. I would rather buy one or two yards of really good fabric as opposed to six yards of lesser fabric. Just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 AM

I wish I were in your shoes...stashes are the most fun ever. a friend and I used to say who ever died with the most fabris wins :-o . I am keeping the contest going...she quit years ago.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Great start. I like your thinking.