Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just too scared! >

I am just too scared!

I am just too scared!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM

If you've done some practice, you should just go for it now! I've gotten better the more I do, but still feel that little bit of trepidation before I start..you can also practice "scribbling" whatever design you want on paper to get the feel of which way to go (or use your finger and trace it on the fabric before you start. You'll do fine!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 PM

I am just attempting my first lap quilt with some very simple machine quilting - I started at the top!! should I take out what I've done and start in the middle????
Originally Posted by SueDor
Start in the middle and work out. I was told to do it in quarters, but being that you have a wallhanging there shouldn't be a problem. Tell yourself that you can do it. Use comfortable stitches so if you have to rip out the stitches it will be easy for you to do so. Remember, we all have to rip out stiches for one reason or another, even the great quilters. Also to remember to breath and have fun. You can do it!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 AM

I don't blame you. I have been afraid for 2 months but I finally jumped in 2 days ago and did okay for 1/2 the baby quilt.... then my machine stitches got funny and I have to take my machine into the shop AGAIN. This is the 3rd time in 5 months. I have a NEW Bernina. Is this normal??? Any ideas??? Don't stay afraid but it isn't as easy as people say it is. I think some of us are just born with smoother motion and others have to work at it. Good luck! :roll:
Old 10-21-2010, 01:13 AM

What wonderful tips you've received. I'm going to save a bunch of them.Someone asked about loopy back stitches & asked if that was normal.It's not normal on my machine, but maybe it's time for yours to have a good cleaning, or to re read the manual?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
I still have my cowboy quilt hanging on the wall waiting to be quilted.. I want to try free motion but just to scared..I have practiced and practiced but to scared to jump in and do something so big! Do you start square in the middle or in the middle on the edge?

Ahhhh....you can do it!!!! Love the support everyone is giving you!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Dianne,

Start in the very center of the quilt and do loops. First go clockwise, then the next one goes counter clockwise, making it easy to move around the quilt. It doesn't matter if they are all the same size - actually it looks better if they aren't!

It will also help if you use the gloves made for quilters - they help you maintain your grip on the quilt. And don't forget to lower your feed dogs and loosen the tension on your bobbin and top thread.

Relax - it's supposed to be fun!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:14 PM

I am lucky to have an embroidery modual on my Bernina and on small quilts I use some of the quilting motifs. Works great. Sometimes rather than just stitch in the ditch, I will use a decorative stitch just inside of the seams. Good luck and free motion, everyone made it look so easy, but I haven't mastered it yet.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:23 PM

I did my first FMQ this spring. I tried it on a baby quilt - nothing too fancy. I have to admit I did have to use my seam ripper once or twice but when it was finished, I was so proud of myself. It turned out wonderful! I have tried FMQ again on a small wallhanging - it turned out great - even won a blue ribbon!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 AM

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge! And you have to remember that nothing is permanent. A friend of mine sent a king size quilt out to be machine quilted and she hated the way it was done. No kidding, she got a seam ripper and ripped out every single stitch. Then she sent it to a machine quilter who came highly recommended. "Un-sewing" is not fun but sometimes it's necessary. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch Lover
Trying anything other than stitch in the ditch scares me too! I am dying to try free motion and one of these days I'll get enough nerve to do it. Silver Dollar City is having their Fall Festival and a lady had tons of holiday table runners of all shapes and every one of them was done with stitch in the ditch. Just made me want to do something different more than ever.
Stitch in the ditch is all that felt comfortable, until someone here encouraged me to try cross-hatching. One of these days, I may work up the courage to try free motion. I've only done it on pillows. But for now I will stick to SID and CH.