Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't cut a straight line! >

I can't cut a straight line!

I can't cut a straight line!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Default I can't cut a straight line!

I've butchered more fabric trying to get a straight cut. I'm considering getting the True-Cut rotary cutter and one of their 6 x 24 rulers. The cutter slips down into a little groove. Does anybody have one and if so, what do you think about it. TIA
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM

I don't have the Tru cut but have you looked at the June Tailor Shape Cut Rulers? I use mine more than I use my Accuquilt Go! http://www.joann.com/search/_june%20...20shape%20cut/
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Try this: The picture shows a small piece of fabric for a scrappy quilt being cut but the same little cut at the top of a a folded fabric works the same way to release the tension of the blade going through the fabric which causes the fabric to move.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t136061.html

Try it and see if it helps.
peace
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM

I am curious as to the 'why' of your cutting problems.

I now like the sandpaper dots on the back of my rulers. I used to use Invisigrip. My hands have difficulty holding the ruler straight. For more 'normal' quilters a tip is to keep your little finger on the far side of the ruler and on the fabric, so the ruler is against that finger while you cut on the opposite side of the ruler.

I do use my Alto's QuiltCut2 for doing strip cutting.

A friend just showed me her new cutting guide. Check out: www.quiltersslide.com You only need to put pressure on one point and the cutting guide stays put. It is kinda neat. Comes in 2 sizes and either clear or yellow [I prefer the yellow.] However if you have arthritis in your wrists this may not be for you.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM

auntpiggly, I have the June Tailor Shape Cut Pro and it slides around. I just bought some Invisigrip and hope it will help.
Tks, Ube, that just might help some.
AliKat, my problem is that I can't seem to stay on the line. I have Creative Grid rulers and they never slip. It's me who wobbles around.
Tks everyone for the good info.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
auntpiggly, I have the June Tailor Shape Cut Pro and it slides around. I just bought some Invisigrip and hope it will help.
Tks, Ube, that just might help some.
AliKat, my problem is that I can't seem to stay on the line. I have Creative Grid rulers and they never slip. It's me who wobbles around.
Tks everyone for the good info.
Uhhh, I've never had any problems with my JT ruler slipping. . . I just lock the edge of the fabric into the "0" slot and go for it!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM

gigi, I have the Trucut cutter and ruler and they work great for me. I'm the kind of guy who can begin handwriting a long word and about halfway through my mind wanders off and I snap back and don't know what letter comes next. So imagine how off-track I can get when cutting a long 24 inch piece of fabric.

The ruler has a small, raised edge that the cutter rides along. It takes just a little getting used to, but it isn't difficult. I've recently had to use a regular cutter and ruler and - boy howdy - the cutter (and my mind) just seem to drift off. Oh, and if you lay the ruler down one way, its marked in whole inches; the other way is marked with an extra half inch.

I do recommend you keep the instructions for the cutter. When you change blades, there's a washer in the cutter that I never can remember where it goes.

Like you, before I bought it, I looked online for reviews and didn't see much. Now that I have one, I don't understand why everyone doesn't use them. Well, except that maybe everyone isn't as scatterbrained as I am.

Tate
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM

I still, after many years, have trouble with my ruler slipping. I came up with a solution that works for me. I put my ruler down so the bottom edge is right at the edge of my table/mat. Then I use a binder clip to secure the ruler to the table. Sure helps me. The binder clips are also the ones I use when I lay out my quilts to pin baste. They can be bought at office supply stores
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

A lot of slippage happens when we try to cover too much ruler area with one hand. Instead of holding the ruler in the center, I now hold it in the lower half. I cut only as far as my fingers can support the ruler. Then I walk my fingers gingerly up to the next section and cut to where it is comfortable. On long sections I can have up to 3 sections to cut. It works for me.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
I still, after many years, have trouble with my ruler slipping. I came up with a solution that works for me. I put my ruler down so the bottom edge is right at the edge of my table/mat. Then I use a binder clip to secure the ruler to the table. Sure helps me. The binder clips are also the ones I use when I lay out my quilts to pin baste. They can be bought at office supply stores
Ditto......