Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't cut a straight line! >

I can't cut a straight line!

I can't cut a straight line!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I used to use binder clips and big old silver ones too. my thumbs hardly work anymore so I gave them up.
if you don't have a long 24 inch ruler, you should go ahead and get one. you will love it. when cutting, cut about half way up along the ruler, then carefully move/walk your hand further up the ruler and hold again, then cut the rest of your fabric. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
A lot of slippage happens when we try to cover too much ruler area with one hand. Instead of holding the ruler in the center, I now hold it in the lower half. I cut only as far as my fingers can support the ruler. Then I walk my fingers gingerly up to the next section and cut to where it is comfortable. On long sections I can have up to 3 sections to cut. It works for me.
I agree, I have much better luck this way!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Tks, everyone for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Tate, I don't know if my mind wanders or I get in a hurry or what, all I do know that I have a major problem with cutting long straight lines. So glad for the recomendation for the Tru-Cut.I'm going to get it. It's not that expensive, besides, I'm worth it.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

The first thing I learned when I started using a rotary cutter was to start about 1/2" from the edge of the fabric and then cut backwards to the edge and then start cutting forward. This keeps the blade from getting veered from the edge, no nicks on the ruler edge, and releases the fabric tension at the same time. I rarely see anyone do this now but it was taught that way at all the classes I went to for how to rotary cut.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
A lot of slippage happens when we try to cover too much ruler area with one hand. Instead of holding the ruler in the center, I now hold it in the lower half. I cut only as far as my fingers can support the ruler. Then I walk my fingers gingerly up to the next section and cut to where it is comfortable. On long sections I can have up to 3 sections to cut. It works for me.
Yes, only cut to the edge of your fingers, then walk your fingers down the rest of the ruler..also just use your fingertips, by bending your fingers, sort of like a spider. Then take the little finger of that hand and put it against the edge of the ruler as you cut....sort of keeps it from scootching. But, you must put enough pressure on that ruler to keep it in place too. Take your time!!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM

I have found if I don't pay attention to the way I hold my rotary cutter, it wanders! So now that I know that I make sure the side with the blade is always next to my ruler. Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
Tate, I don't know if my mind wanders or I get in a hurry or what, all I do know that I have a major problem with cutting long straight lines. So glad for the recomendation for the Tru-CutI'm going to get it. It's not that expensive, besides, I'm worth it.
gigi, I'm sure you could tell from my post, I like telling how much I enjoy using the Tru-cut. I'm surprised that out of all the replies, I was the only one who actually uses it. I was lucky enough to find mine at a Tuesday Morning about a year ago.

Tate
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM

I love the June Taylor Shapecut, I have sandpaper dots on mine. I have some of the Invisigrip on my smaller rulers but I don't think it helps all that much.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Tks, everyone! Y'all are awesome!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 AM

Just tried this site and it wouldn't open. Try this instead for the quilters slide lock. http://quiltersslidelock.com