Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't cut a straight line! >

I can't cut a straight line!

I can't cut a straight line!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
gigi, I have the Trucut cutter and ruler and they work great for me. I'm the kind of guy who can begin handwriting a long word and about halfway through my mind wanders off and I snap back and don't know what letter comes next. So imagine how off-track I can get when cutting a long 24 inch piece of fabric.

The ruler has a small, raised edge that the cutter rides along. It takes just a little getting used to, but it isn't difficult. I've recently had to use a regular cutter and ruler and - boy howdy - the cutter (and my mind) just seem to drift off. Oh, and if you lay the ruler down one way, its marked in whole inches; the other way is marked with an extra half inch.

I do recommend you keep the instructions for the cutter. When you change blades, there's a washer in the cutter that I never can remember where it goes.

Like you, before I bought it, I looked online for reviews and didn't see much. Now that I have one, I don't understand why everyone doesn't use them. Well, except that maybe everyone isn't as scatterbrained as I am.

Tate
Thanks Tate, I also have an attention problem but have tried all that grip stuff on my ruler and still cannot manage to cut a straight line. I'm saving up for the True-Cut rulers and rotary cutter. I can't wait till I can get one. I have even gone so far as to tape my ruler at both ends and somehow still manage to mess up the cut...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 AM

I just got Trucut rulers without getting the rotary cutter made for it. The edge is high enough that my cutters often got caught in it. I finally got the cutter this week and cut out a quilt with it in no time. I find the grid holes in the ruler along with the raised edge make it much easier to keep the fabric square along with the added safety.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 AM

Just tried to send a reply...there is a coupon in this month's Sew it Today magazine for 20% off the Truecut rotary cutting system. Use the coupon code TC-SEW-IT for 20% off your entire trucut order. Offer expires on 3/26/13.
www.graceframe.com.
Will probably give it a try.
Dottie
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 AM

I saw a new ruler at a quilt show last week. It has holes in the ruler where you can put your fingers to keep it from slipping. I can't remember the name but I thought it was a good idea. The holes went the length and width of the ruler and had markings every inch. For lack of a better way to describe it, it was like they cut out a small square in each 1" grid of the ruler. You could place your hands wherever it was comfortable and still be able to keep the ruler from slipping.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM

The one and only quilt show I ever went to, I tried a cutter being sold there and the salesman said, after I tried it out, that I was not holding the cutter perpendicular to the mat. Every time I mistakenly cut a curve I find that I have been holding the rotary cutter at an angle. Need to stop daydreaming, I think.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I don't have the Tru cut but have you looked at the June Tailor Shape Cut Rulers? I use mine more than I use my Accuquilt Go! http://www.joann.com/search/_june%20...20shape%20cut/
I wish I could afford one of these. I have been wanting one for a long time now.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM

Checked out Amazon and they have a better deal than Graceframe.
Dottie
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I don't have the Tru cut but have you looked at the June Tailor Shape Cut Rulers? I use mine more than I use my Accuquilt Go! http://www.joann.com/search/_june%20...20shape%20cut/
When these first came out they were very unreliable. Have the improved the accuracy??? I have one I never use.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Somewhere on this board I saw the suggestion to coat the backs of rulers with rubber cement (sold in office supply stores). It works great for me. It takes quite awhile to dry if the humidity is high, so don't do it on a day when you're in a hurry to use your ruler. The back of your cutting mat can also be coated with it if you have a problem with it slipping. It doesn't seem to hurt anything I've tried it on, and it can be peeled off and redone later if it gets too ugly from picking up fuzz.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM

I tried the sandpaper dots and still managed to move the ruler while cutting. Tried the rubber cement method and improved 90%.