Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I found a GREAT deal on basting spray !!! >

I found a GREAT deal on basting spray !!!

I found a GREAT deal on basting spray !!!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 AM
LMB

I posted a question about basting spray. I got several good answers and the general answer was that it smelled but worked great. I searched for 505 spray because it was the least stinky... but no luck, other than ordering on line, and I thought it was too exspensive.(I am on a fixed income and have become a real tight wad.) So yesterday when I was in the local Meijers store I found a can of Elmers craft bond. It was 11 ounces and only cost me $4.97. I tried it on a 12x12 piece of fabric that I wanted to FMQ... on the fabric and the batting.
It didnt bother my husbands breathing a bit... (still a little stinky, but not terribly) and it worked wonderfully. The only draw back is that you spray it and wait 3 to 5 minutes then add the second layer. Ladies (and Gents) for the price I am willing to wait that long. I am going back today and get more. I think this is a fantastic price and couldnt wait to get on here and share. If anyone trys it will you please post and tell me how you think it compares to the other basting sprays. I am old school and pin and baste and the idea of making a quilt sandwitch with spray has just put me over the top with joy.
I hope someone out there is as excited as I am with this.

PS my avatar is my only son with his new baby. He is 40 years old and we (his 5 sisters and I) never thought he would get married... now here is married with a baby girl. Can you hear the joy I feel, and sence the tears in my eyes? lol

Elmer's Craft Bond 11 oz (311g)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153181[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153176.bmp  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 AM

This is something worth checking out. Thanks so much! I too will wait for the few minutes if I can save $$.
I checked and if it is the same one it is acid free, one question, Did it gum up your needle ??
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM

never inhale the stuff. Lost love ones to that demon glue snifting. i worry myself that the young will take to it if become to ready avalble at low cost.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM

I picked up some of that when I ran out of basting spray. Works like a charm.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 AM
LMB

Lord I never even thought about that. I use a mask whenever I glue anything because I have bad sinus problems... thank you for posting and reminding everyone about the dangers.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
LMB

RKayD did you see any difference in the smell? What brand do you usually use?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Just a heads up, is a permanent bond. It does not wash out. Quilt basting spray is a temporary, and washes out of your quilt.

I tried some of this not knowing the difference on my first project, and had some major issues with it. I too had noticed the price difference between this and the quilting basting sprays.

My air erasable pen marks did not disappear, and I had some fabrics bleed pretty badly. This also does not like to come off of ANY surface it comes in contact with :wink: :D:D:D
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Thank you for the info, will go look for it, but shhhhh or the price will go up. lol
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM

My only experience with a craft spray has been with machine embroidery. I know when I picked up my can of craft bond instead of the basting spray it gummed up my needle. i would try it on a sample piece before spraying a whole project.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
LMB

Amma. Thank you for that. I guess my next question would be... I am going to wash this sandwich I made and see what it does. THank you