Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate my quilt top >

I hate my quilt top

I hate my quilt top

Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 AM

Default I hate my quilt top

Has anyone else ever worked hard to make a quilt top and hated it when was completed? This is a first for me! The pattern was a tulip where you were suppose to take 4 strips of different colors from a jelly roll to make the bud. Instead I made it with 4 strips of the same material, but there are 32 different tulips. The background fabric is Kona snow. To me it's just washed out. Ready to either ball it up and toss or donate it to Salvation Army. Not wanting to purchase 6 yards of fabric for backing and binding to quilt it. Maybe I should have followed the pattern instead of going out on my own. Have you done anything like this??
Old 06-13-2019, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Linda, I have one that I hate. I got it last year as a kit (free with a Bluprint membership), I even big stitched the whole thing but I absolutely hate it.
Among the reasons: the batting I used is way too heavy, I goofed up the pattern, the only thing I like is the quilting.
It's still in a heap somewhere.
I completely feel your pain I may just donate mine and then I can forget about it!!!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 AM

Lets see pictures Gals?? and yes someone will like or love it so donate to a needy cause
Old 06-13-2019, 04:54 AM

Sounds like it will be beautiful when it's quilted....all that lovely blank quilting space.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

well, if anything else you can always use it as a back for another quilt. two in one! that' what I've been doing lately.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 AM

I would definitely find another use for it like a picnic quilt or shower curtain. Or m
aybe cut it down. Make several table runners to give away or wall hangings. It might look better on a smaller scale.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I made a quilt top that ended up hideous. I cut it up in wide strips to make another quilt. Still hideous so I balled it up and chunked it in the trash. Sometimes quilt failure is just quilt failure.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes the pattern is right.

Sometimes it is worth the effort to make a sample block before continuing.

Sometimes an idea ends up being an idea - that did not work as well as one hoped.

So you spent money on making the top - and really really dislike it.
Does it make any sense - at all - to spend more money on batting and backing for it?

Ever go out to a restaurant and get a meal that you did not like very much? Did you order the same thing again?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 AM

I posted a free-wheeling pink and orange quilt last year that I hate. I pulled anything I thought would go with orange and pink from my stash. I liked the blocks I used in it. I remember the bento block was one of them. I liked the combo of orange and pink (oddly). But I hate the way it looks all put together. Also I tried for the first time the point to point quilting method and it just turned out awful. Ugh.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 AM

Maybe if you just fold it up and put it away for a short time and pull it out later and it may look very pretty to you.