Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate my quilt top >

I hate my quilt top

I hate my quilt top

Old 06-15-2019, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=bkay;8265105]I absolutely have one that I hate. I think it was my 3rd quilt. I loved the fabric so much that I bought a yard just to have. Then, I saw Jenny Doan's quartered stripes video and decided that was the pattern to use. So, I went back to buy enough to make it. I made all the blocks, but hated it at that point. It was just too much blue and too much of the same thing. My friend suggested white sashing, so I sashed it. I still didn't like it. Then I figured out that it was going to cost me about $160.00 to get it quilted, plus the batting. It's too big for me to quilt, so it's dead in the closet until I donate it or decide to spend the money to finish it. I already bought the backing fabric, plus some coordinating prints for pillows.

I never even took a photo of the top finished.

bkay

Here are the blocks, which look great. Then, you get 40 of them together and ask, "what was I thinking?".

/QUOTE]

Do you like the blocks enough to take it apart and change the sashing to yellow? Then stagger the rows - add something at the top and bottom of every other column) so the patterns aren't all in a row. Such pretty blocks - it would make a lovely Summer quilt for blue lovers.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:22 AM

7one that I absolutely hated and got rid of it as soon as I could. It was a pattern from janet kime's It's Raining Cats and Dogs. I tested the quilt that was on the cover of that book. Janet asked my sister and me to make the cats & hearts for Martingale book of heart themed quilts. We made the quilt with bright batiks. Technically, we did a good job and the feedback we received from the trunk shows of quilts from the book was positive, I absolutely hated the quilt and gave it to a friend who still has i displayed in her studio. I'm not sure if it was the fabrics or that I thought the cats themselves were butt ugly but i am glad it's gone (and forgotten)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Yes, Ive done it too. Now it is a picnic quilt. You are not alone.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Yep, into the bin it went and I danced all the way back into the house!

I currently have a bag of blocks which are the result of a mystery quilt where the instructions were wrong and whilst most of the other participants were happy to pull their blocks apart and resew correctly once the error was discovered, I on the other hand lost all interest and trust. I have recently found a LQS that will take unwanted or unfinished projects. They have a group of volunteers who then work on them to "rescue" them in some form or another to then give to charity. That's where my bag of blocks is going next week.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 PM

I started a Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt (the one with turquoise, brown and coral) that I just did not want to finish after making about 7 blocks--so decided to alter and make into a modern quilt where the traditional blocks started in the one corner and then "exploded" as they moved further up the quilt. After piecing it I really thought "blah" but decided to quilt anyway to play with the negative space and gave to my daughter to use in her office (she's a mental health therapist)where she says her clients really like it. So go ahead and finish and hand off to someone that will use it.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 PM

I am currently working on a quilt that I'm just not sure about. The girl that I'm making the quilt for is a friend of my daughter. She picked the fabric from her deceased Aunt's stash. No quilt pattern, just wants a quilt made from the stash. I have been at this for well over a year and I just keep dragging my heels with it. I know that her Aunt would love the quilt. But I, myself, am just not sure about it. Too bright, too modern.....I keep telling myself that once I quilt it and bind it, that it will look better.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 PM

I have quilts that aren’t my personal favorites but I can appreciate them. I find that the finished top is a limbo stage. Quilting adds something and helps hide some problems. The texture and weight is definitely a part of what makes a quilt so beautiful.

Then there are quilts I love when they are finished and after some time has passed, they begin to look dated. As with anything, it is perspective.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
I am currently working on a quilt that I'm just not sure about. The girl that I'm making the quilt for is a friend of my daughter. She picked the fabric from her deceased Aunt's stash. No quilt pattern, just wants a quilt made from the stash. I have been at this for well over a year and I just keep dragging my heels with it. I know that her Aunt would love the quilt. But I, myself, am just not sure about it. Too bright, too modern.....I keep telling myself that once I quilt it and bind it, that it will look better.
One of the hardest things I have done in quilting is finishing someone else's ufo's using their stash. It's so hard when nothing is really your style. But, carry on. Once I completed it, my friend loved it. It spoke of her mom.