Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know some won't agree but please reconsider >

I know some won't agree but please reconsider

I know some won't agree but please reconsider

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 AM

I agree. People can find out more info from you by looking at your junk mail than on here. I have very little going to my house and pay all my bills on secured sites online so that I have little coming to my house. I know that I'm not the only one in my area with my last name so what are chances of finding out exactly where I live. Plus, that's not what this site is about for the most part anyways. I'm sure there have been those who have checked us out for reasons other than quilting but I'm just as sure it didn't take them long to find they'll find nothing here.

Happy holidays to you as well.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Everything that a member can read here on the board is public information..try googling your user name and it will come up for all to see..
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 AM

I, too, have met some wonderful people BECAUSE I have my location listed. I have also posted about specials or going out of business hoping to reach some "local" quilters so they could also get in on the good deals.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't see any problem with posting your city and state. I have met a few "neighbors" and I can't see any problem. I also agree, people with bad intentions don't need a social network to find you if they want.
Sue
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM

I agree with having your profile up to date so folks can help you. I only changed my location during the Secret Santa Swap to keep my partner from guessing it was me who sent her package. Most of the fun is not knowing who got a package from until we open on Dec. 9th. I will change it back once we open on Dec. 9th.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
Funny- I had to go check my profile.
First had to find a link that I posted in.

Someday I hope to post a picture- Directions on how to do this?
Look in the top right hand corner of the webpage. You should see a black bar with your username and links to Notifications, Profile and Settings. As for posting pictures, just don't try it if you use Chrome as your browser. I had to switch back to Explorer to post my pics to a forum yesterday.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM

In addition or in place of, I appreciate those in the Introduce Yourself section who introduce themselves with their general location.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
Everything that a member can read here on the board is public information..try googling your user name and it will come up for all to see..
Well now that was interesting! Not that I put personal items on here, but didn't realize how easy it was to read the www on google .....
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

On another, similar site I changed my real state location to a ficticious one because a nasty person who disagreed with me on something referred to my state in a negative way... like all of us from Mississippi are barefoot, have no education, and marry our cousins. I decided I didn't need the aggravation and maybe it was no one's business where I lived, anyway...

Of course, the people on the Quilting Board are much nicer!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM

I used to be on a forum hosted by a magazine that had a variety of forums, one of which was home and garden. It was amazing the number of people who would ask about plants and not state where they lived or at least the plant zone.

My zone 9 garden has plants that are not going to live, let alone thrive in a Zone 4 garden.

I list my home Province, not my town, but if asked I will say where I am from. Duncan, BC on Vancouver Island.