Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need motivation >

I need motivation

I need motivation

Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Sorry, no suggestions here. I'm still trying to get motivated just to make one
Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I always reward myself for doing something (or even just starting something) that I don't want to do. (I would never clean bathrooms without a reward in mind. )

Dina
I love this approach! What rewards do you use? Do you have a sliding scale? (I would need a larger reward for bathrooms...)
Alison
Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM

I finally decided that I could only start a new quilt for every two tops I finished quilting. That way I will slowly catch up with the pile of tops I have. I like the planning and piecing so much more than the finishing.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM

I have the same problems, the sandwich is the big stopper for me. No room.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Have them quilted. Look around in small towns around where you live. Quilting services seem to be less expensive in small towns where people are on fixed incomes. I bring mine to a small town about 2 hours away where my brother lives. I pay around $28.00 for a lap quilt and for the same service, here in the city it would run at least $100. Well worth the drive, even with gas prices. I just make sure I bring more than one at a time to her. I appreciate my quilter and she appreciates my business.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:09 PM

I found some motivation and brought 2 quilts to the LQS for them to quilt. I also bought the backing for one I want to try at home and I am in the middle of FMQ'ing another with a printed back. I also finished a wall hanging. I wish my camera would let me put picks on the computer and the board. maybe I will borrow my girlfriend's camera or laptop so I can post some pics when they are done.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM

I'm having the same problem now. I think it is I just want to be outside after the winter. I took a long walk this morning, but still didn't sit at the machine.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM

For those who don't have a large space for basting a quilt sandwich together, you can have a longarmer baste the sandwich for you. No crawling around on the floor, etc. Another option is to use a no-baste frame, if you can fit one somewhere and just store it away when not in use. Even if you want to lap quilt by hand or FMQ by machine, you can use the no-baste frame just to get the sandwich together, basted and ready to go, right? Just my thoughts...
Old 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Default No room for basting?

There is NO WAY I can crawl around on my floor to baste because of an old knee injury. I've developed my own technique that I have used for quite awhile now...
I baste all my quilts on my old dining room table, 1/4th of the quilt at a time. The fabric and batting hang over the edges of the table as I'm working on a particular section. You could tape the backing to the table if you like, I never have. I make sure that all the layers are lying smoothly on the table top. Once I get 1/4 basted, I slide everything over and make sure that the layers are all lying smoothly before I start on the next section. I do it this way for both thread basting and pin basting. I've never had any trouble with puckers, and I've been doing it this way for many years.