Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm looking for a good mini-iron.  Does anyone have this or can recommend one? >

I'm looking for a good mini-iron. Does anyone have this or can recommend one?

I'm looking for a good mini-iron. Does anyone have this or can recommend one?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 PM

I have the Clover Mini Iron 2 & I really like it. I do a LOT of applique & find it to work perfectly. It is easy to clean, heats up super quickly to a very high temp & has a large plate that you can buy as a separate accessory to make larger bias tape/binding (it comes with a small plate, iron rest & screwdriver for swapping out the attachments). When I need steam, it is easy enough to get that with a small spritz bottle, but I only use that for pressing seams/bias tape. I have no problem cleaning off starch with dryer sheets.

After several burns to my fingers from using my regular sized iron, I caved in and bought this iron. I have never been disappointed. I used a 50% off coupon at my local Jo-Ann store, making it a very economical purchase.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:28 PM

I have a travel iron that is about 20 years old. Purchased is for a trip to Europe, got it at a shop that sold luggage and travel item. Use it all the time but now the steam function does not work well so I just use a spray bottle. love the little iron.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I have that one and like it for class, but I still prefer my little Rowenta Travel Iron. I've seen them at JoAnns and you can use the coupon on it. Here is a link to the online store and it's on sale: http://www.joann.com/rowenta-da1560-...owenta&start=5
I highly recommend the Rowenta travel iron. It heats very fast and cools fairly quickly. And it is definitely worth the $40. I have 2 - got my second one from Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon. JoAnn's usually doesn't allow using any coupon in this or any irons so wait for a sale. Sharon Schamber - a very famous quilter and big time show winner only uses the iron as it gets nice and hot and is so easy to use and carry. The picture shows the handle in the lowered position for transport in the bag it comes in (personally I hate wrestling it back into the bag!).

I have no experience with the other small irons but so e d the, are just junk and not worth the price. To me it's worth spending the dollars for a good iron instead of trying and tossing smaller, cheaper ones.

Thanks for listening
Sandy in Mooresville, NC - fall is on the way!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 AM

I have the original mini Clover iron and love it….I do PPing and it works great…….
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 AM

I had this iron and loved it for about one year when the handle broke. I got another one and it stopped making steam in about one week. Got a replacement and it did the very same thing. Another china product that does not work.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 AM

I bought a mini iron in wal mart for only $9 works great, I use it when making doll clothes.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 AM

If you have a Goodwill nearby, check there. I've picked up two small irons, still in their boxes, from Goodwill for less than $5 each. Generally GW stores have a selection of irons. I also picked up a brand new cord/cordless Panasonic steam iron.

I also have the small clover iron. I think the newer clover irons come with two detachable/interchangeable heads.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
Amazon has them a lot cheaper than Nancy's.
Anyone interested in this little Petite Press iron should also check into getting one at Joann's with a coupon. Also I believe these little irons have been included when Joann's has had 50% off of all their quilting notions.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 AM

I bought the Petite Press from JoAnn's using a 50% off coupon. Much cheaper and no shipping costs. I love the iron, gets hot enough to press open seams and do appliqué.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD View Post
I am new to the use of Rowenta but am curious, the first time I used mine it spit and did a sputter. Then after I read that it needed to be totally warmed up before use or it would do that I made sure it was warmed up and since haven't had any issues with it. Could this be the same for yours? I know how frustrating irons can be. i was surprised when mine quit

Thanks for the input. I have tried everything the instructions say, but still leaks. I think I'm going to try a Rowenta in the near future. I've heard they are a good iron.