Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)

Quote Originally Posted by cmworrall
    I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
    Good for you! Sounds like a great plan!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to try to follow that advise also this year!

I'm with you!!! I've noticed that in mags, too...but my turning point was a quilt show this last summer. I was appalled at some I saw....and thrilled to know MY quilting was better!!! LOL (blush blush). BTW -- 2 of the quilts at that show were impressive ------they were quilted fabric with binding around the edges...and the binding wasn't put on very well!!!! Yip, I'll show mine off now!!!!

That does sound like a great plan. I'm going to adopt your attitude also. I stress and fuss so much about getting think right, that I could have things done in half the time if I would just accept a little imperfection.
    Here's to more quilting and less stress.

seems like we are our own worst critics....I don't ever point out my flaws to others ... and most times they don't seem them...I love that!

Blog Entries
    I agree, I'm not perfect, what makes me feel that everything must be 100% perfect or I am 100% no good. That just don't make sense!:)

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmworrall
    This is the only way I get anything done at all! I try not to compare, just enjoy what I do or why bother doing it! I did that for way too many years before sewing or crafting- done now :)

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what perfection is. I just do my best and if it's not perfect oh well I just keep going.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Hallelujah!!!
    It will make YOU feel so much better and let the rest of us enjoy seeing your work without *having* to look for the pointed out mistakes, LOL!

You go girls! It's gonna be a great year :-D

Jan in VA

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast