Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM

I too have seen less than perfect quilts in magazines. I noticed seams that weren't straight and corners that didn't exactly match. That's when I decided not to beat myself up but to enjoy what I'm doing.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM

:) I like the way true persian rug makers to do it. They purposely put a mistake into it even if it is 'perfect'
The thought behind that is tha no one is perect and to obtain that is trying to obtain the status of God (being perfect).

cindy
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by cmworrall
my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)

I agree with this!! Unless you're being paid money for the quilt, this is supposed to be a hobby, which should equal fun! I have several quilts made by my great-grandmother and grandmother and you can obviously see where the stitching wasn't "perfect"...they are still some of the most precious items I will ever own and perfect in my eyes forever. I make my own quilts for my pleasure, and even if I give one as a gift, I have never had anyone point out flaws to me...they wouldn't be getting a 2nd one if they did either, LOL.

Tanesha
Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM

my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
Good for you! I've been my own worst critic at times, so I've adopted a few "rules" in my sewing and quilting:
1. Done is better than perfect
2. If I'm traveling past my project at 5 mph and it looks good, it is perfect
3. If I make a "mistake", I can cover it up, cut it out or call it a design element.

Now I'm not saying I'll do sloppy work just to get something done, nor am I'm saying I don't try to perfect my skills, but I am going to focus on the pleasure and fun that I find in sewing and quilting!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 AM

First, recall that the Amish purposely make mistakes cause only God is perfect. Second, remember--done is better than perfect. And for me, I make quilts to be loved not judged so I don't care. I just do my best with the skills I have at the time and move on. No one has ever refused a gift from me because it is not "perfect" an unattainable and subjective goal, anyway--just MHO.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM

A great resolution. Have a Happy Quilting New Year.
Annie
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tootsie
Good for you! I've been my own worst critic at times, so I've adopted a few "rules" in my sewing and quilting:
1. Done is better than perfect
2. If I'm traveling past my project at 5 mph and it looks good, it is perfect
3. If I make a "mistake", I can cover it up, cut it out or call it a design element.

Now I'm not saying I'll do sloppy work just to get something done, nor am I'm saying I don't try to perfect my skills, but I am going to focus on the pleasure and fun that I find in sewing and quilting!

My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM

I've been working on the same resolution for a few months. I have issues with perfectionism in a lot of areas in my life and I'm really trying to let go. I love the quote in my signature. It sums up how I'm trying to view quilting.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Thank you very, very much. I am going to adopt that attitude also!!! I love it. In the past, I have stressed way more then necessary over something that wasn't perfect. I AM NOT GOING TO DO THAT ANY MORE!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
Thanks for sharing....that's a perfect resolution! And if you have no objections, I'd like to make it mine, too!