Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 AM

Goodness, had I only read your post earlier. I spent last evening ripping out quilting because I couldn't even keep my stitch in a ditch straight yesterday!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I'm with you!!! I've noticed that in mags, too...but my turning point was a quilt show this last summer. I was appalled at some I saw....and thrilled to know MY quilting was better!!! LOL (blush blush). BTW -- 2 of the quilts at that show were impressive ------they were quilted fabric with binding around the edges...and the binding wasn't put on very well!!!! Yip, I'll show mine off now!!!!
Question is did they win a prize! Do the best you can. And remenber the Galloping horse philosphy. We are always are own worst critic. Sometimes being critical will allow us to improve.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by cmworrall
I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
I have noticed that too. I just saw one in a recent mag that the SID was worse than mine, all wonky, and a couple seams that didn't match in HST's . That made my day. I try not to beat myself up, as I know I am better than a lot of people, and figure the ones that receive my quilts will never see the flaws. After all there really is no such thing as perfection.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 AM

I just enjoy making quilts. I know mine will never be perfect so I don't worry about the mistakes unless they are so far off I really can't stand it.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Ohhhhhhhh my favorite subject.... and hooray for Kaffee,,, he's my idol in the color world.. i'm a knitter and have a book by him from BHQ (befor his quilting)... his patterns were a natural to move into the quilting world....
anywhooooooo.... i written before and am the "no mistakes just creative opportunities girl"!!!! i just do NOT know how quilting ever got to the point where the judging was for perfection....people started this to keep warm and used old clothes because it was all they had!!! Kinda shows you where we are huh!!!!
I'm so glad to here a lot of you embracing the fun and creative side of this hobby...to say nothing of how badly we need to use up our "collections"... honestly some of fabric will "rot" before it's gone.. LOL
I'm gonna start posting some of my "quilts"... that have been made from "what i had"... and just plain had fun.. to see if you like them and hopefully inspire..
2011!!! Here's to using it up and having fun!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 AM

AMEN to that! It takes a while for us to realize that none are perfect so we shouldn't sweat the small stuff!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 AM

When things don't turn out just like you want them you can always just call it 'whimsical'!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

i have thought some of you are a little (over-concerned) with the little stuff...if you get really (up close-and personal) to some of the 'big-quilts' made by famous international celebrity (sp) quilters you will find- unless the quilting was done by a computer (statler stitcher)- the quilting is far from perfect....the decider really is...
if you hang the quilt up and stand across the room from it...how does it look? good?--THAT'S GREAT! oops...see something wrong...oops better fix that...
non-quilters see the quilt for itself...they have no idea that every thing about it is not exactly what you meant it to be...they do not recognize mistakes that we get stressed out about...unless you point them out and tell...

a few years ago my nephew taught me a quilting lesson...
he was making stained glass blocks...critters...the cutest things...i need to find pics...anyway...he brought me this kangaroo he had just finished ... and i noticed (up close and personal) that one of the fabrics was turned over...wrong side up...and i said..."jess, you have one of the fabrics turned over...it is wrong side up..." he looked at me as if i was from a different planet - went to his table and picked up a scrap of the same fabric...held his block up about 5 feet from me and said...hows it look? can you tell? IT LOOKED GOOD...AND NO, I COULD NOT PICK OUT THAT FABRIC PIECE. he then pinned the scrap fabric (right side up) over the spot...and held it up again...boy it jumped right out at you...and did not work!... and he said..." hey, I pay for both sides of the fabric...i'm using what ever side works :thumbup: then he gave me his 'impish' grin told me that was my lesson for the day...and left!
i miss having the boys around to sew with! they are *fearless* and so creative!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 AM

I have several quilts in my house that were gifts to either me or one of my children. They've been well-loved and well-used over the years. When I began quilting I went back and looked them over closely and found --- lots of whimsy and creative expression in those quilts. This really freed me to be not so perfect myself. Loved those quilts without knowing they weren't perfect - love them even more knowing they aren't.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 AM

I know what you mean about criticizing our work, I do that all the time and my dh tells me that it is really a good job and that it isn't suppose to be perfect, that is what hand made means, well maybe he has a point, I do my very best and have fun doing it.