Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I agree, I have seen several quilts in magazines with big quilters or (expert quilters)names given that made the quilts and you can see points off uneven seams and even wavy borders that don't lay flat. I am also my worst critic. I try to do the best I can and hope to continue to improve my quilting in all aspects. I'm not going to let a mistake here and there to spoil my enjoyment of quilting. Not let them look at my quilts for perfection, but the love and time I put into them.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 AM

me too!!
Originally Posted by amma
I will also adopt this attitude too :D:D:D
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 AM

I agree we are always our own worst critics. The quilt I finished right after Christmas is the first one I have ever made where I would let some one see the back. LOL I even surprised myself.
Pickle
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 AM

I always say that since I am not perfect how in the world could I make a perfect quilt. Not that I would intentionally let something really bad pass but it helps in the frustration dept.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 AM

a teacher used to say that it's the intention that counts and that comes through. If I make it with love, then that will be how it is perceived. As I said earlier, I do my very best and do it with love. I don't let obvious flaws through. I aim high--after all reach for the moon and if you miss, you still land among the stars!

Laurie
Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by cmworrall
I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
I agree with you. Many of the students in my classes moan about points not meeting, or "not-straight quilting", and I've saved some magazines with up close detail photos of quilts that are not perfect either. I think that liberates EVERYONE! I tell them to do the best they can as long as they ENJOY the process and not let it torment them. When it gets to the point, ease up on yourself - quilting is supposed to be FUN!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
seems like we are our own worst critics....I don't ever point out my flaws to others ... and most times they don't seem them...I love that!
My mom made my brother a quilt for Christmas this year and she was on the phone with me telling me of her disappointments (she wasn't overly thrilled with her binding) and I kept telling her if she kept her mouth shut on Xmas Day no one would be the wiser!
:lol: I'm sure it couldn't have been that bad. My mother is a very good sewer/quilter. She just doesn't think she is.....just like me! I guess it runs in the family LOL!!!

I was making a block yesterday....I'm an 1/8" short on one side. I do not know how it happened. I've taken it apart, measured everything and it still happens. I'll just adjust for it and once it's in the quilt unless I point it out, I doubt anyone will notice! ;-)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM

We all have our talents, our good days, and our "off" days. This is what makes us human. I once heard that the Amish used to make at least one obvious and deliberate mistake in their quilts because only god is perfect!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

I don't agree with some of the posts here. I do not believe we should accept sloppy work just because a national magazine shows a picture. Rather, write the magazine and tell them they should pay attention to the workmanship shown in their illustrations. I did this recently with a book company about the picture on the cover of one of their books. They explained it away with something like "cropping the picture caused the problem"
Well I don't accept that. Write the magazine and tell them we expect better work. It doesn't have to be outstanding but should be good without obvious sloppiness.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I don't agree with some of the posts here. I do not believe we should accept sloppy work just because a national magazine shows a picture. Rather, write the magazine and tell them they should pay attention to the workmanship shown in their illustrations. I did this recently with a book company about the picture on the cover of one of their books. They explained it away with something like "cropping the picture caused the problem"
Well I don't accept that. Write the magazine and tell them we expect better work. It doesn't have to be outstanding but should be good without obvious sloppiness.

I didn't say I was accepting sloppy work. I said I'm not beating myself up if something I do is not exactly perfect. Seeing a "flaw" in a magazine by an "expert" made me feel a little better about my work and not stress out so much over it.