Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM

Making mistakes and recognizing what was wrong and learning how to correct the mistakes is part of the quilting process. Just as in thing new that we undertake. It is very frustrating but sometimes it is best to just walk away and think about it a while before attempting to fix the mistake.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM

This something I too am working on. I have been so hard on my self in everything in life. I decided I just want to enjoy my hobby not get stressed out about it in any aspect. I have a job that stresses me out enough... I say we all need to stop being so hard on ourselves and just sit back relax and enjoy the process, isn't that why we quilt anyway? I will just have to keep telling myself this when I am working on my projects. :)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 AM

That goes a long ways in self confidence in our efforts..
My philosophy of life (much to my mother's chagrin) is "If they don't like it, they can do it themselves."
Other quotes from others...
Do your best and be proud of your efforts...
If you can't see it from 5 ft.... no one else can either
and last but not least
When it's quilted, no one will see the "ooopss"
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Good for you. Even the best have mistakes.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM

I quit being so hard on me a few years ago. And ya know what? I actually finish quilts all the way to the binding and label. ;-) when I let myself go and just have fun the creativity started flowing and I started having fun. Perfection is not part of the process. Chaos? YES! Much to my husbands chagrin..BUT.. He bought me a Accuquilt Studio for Christmas. So I think he'll survive it all. ;-)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM

I'm so glad God made me the way He did. I know I'm not perfect and I don't care. That's why I mostly make strip/crazy quilts - no advanced planning, no matchine corners/triangles/et. just fun. I know a most of you cut fabric into small pieces & sew them together again. I mostly use scraps for my quilts. Or, I embroider baby quilts mostly on whole cloth. I DO NOT stress over mistakes.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Great attitude...works for me! I also tend to be critical of my work, but the best you can do is the best you can do. I'm sure not going to stop now! :>
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM

TY for the New Year's resolution. Being my own best critic, it's hard to get over the small imperfections but the flaws do show that it was hand made or homemade.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Originally Posted by cmworrall
I tend to criticize myself alot regarding my quilting/sewing skills and I've noticed several others on this board do the same thing. Well not anymore! I was reading a national quilting magazine the other day and noticed that the quilting was really off on one. Part of it was a 9 patch and it was quilted with "X's" in the squares and they were not straight by a LONG SHOT! Now PLEASE know that I don't mean any disrespect or offense to anyone. But I just thought to myself, here I am beating myself up because I can't get something totally perfect and here is a quilt in a national magazine that isn't perfect either. Now maybe it was supposed to be that way for the "charm" of it, but my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
Thanks for sharing....that's a perfect resolution! And if you have no objections, I'd like to make it mine, too!
I have a lot of trouble with this one. It is very hard for me to think that my quilts are ok. Why is this so?? I don't know. I have little confidence!

Pat
Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM

I have only been quilting for a couple of years, but the best advise I received was from a seasoned quilter. There is no right or wrong way, it is what you want it to be!