Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Good for you! I have decided awhile ago that since I am not a programmed computer machine with built-in precision I have license to make "creative miscalculations" :lol:
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Have you noticed that in a lot of books, the edges of the quilts are all wavy? That always surprises me.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM

It amazes me how many times I've seen shoddy workmanship in the magazines and even in some books. I wouldnt make a very good editor, all the staff would hate me for being so picky.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Sounds like a good resolution! One we should all take a good look at. :o)
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM

I started quilting a year ago and stressed myself sick trying to reach "perfection". One of our club members who's been quilting almost 40 yrs said to me "it's only material! If you make a mistake you can go buy more! Have fun! You're driving yourself nuts" and boy was she right. I have fun now and gave up on perfection. It's alot more fun!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Great idea - any 'mistakes' can be put down to 'creativity'. I think it is always better to count all the good aspects of someone's work rather than hunt for the 'mistake'. Non - sewers never notice them until someone points them out.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I don't agree with some of the posts here. I do not believe we should accept sloppy work just because a national magazine shows a picture. Rather, write the magazine and tell them they should pay attention to the workmanship shown in their illustrations. I did this recently with a book company about the picture on the cover of one of their books. They explained it away with something like "cropping the picture caused the problem"
Well I don't accept that. Write the magazine and tell them we expect better work. It doesn't have to be outstanding but should be good without obvious sloppiness.
I agree if someone is teaching or showing quilts in a national contest or in a magazine - that is to be expected.As too, if you show your quilts, the criticism is constructive and should improve the workmanship as we take heed. However, if the fear of making mistakes holds us back, then it is not so good. We all try for a happy result, I suppose and I am definitely working on my bindings since I saw that episode on Quilter's Cafe.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM

I made a baby quilt for my son's soon-to-be-born baby, which I had given to my DDIL at her shower. We were at their house over the holidays & I was looking at the quilt, mumbling under my breath about all the mistakes I had made. My son said to me, "That's the way I look at my house. I see all the mistakes I made, but you just see a beautiful house. The quilt looks beautiful to me, I don't see any mistakes." (My son built their house himself.) My heart melted.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Agree wholehearted with this resolution. Thanks for sharing, becuase I, too, am constantly worrying about my "mistakes"
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Horray for you.