Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Everything I make, I make with love, whether it be a quilt or cookies or afghan or bread or or or . How it turns out isn't always how I intended for it to turn out, but again, it was made with love and nothing can be more close to perfect than that.

Stressed is desserts backwards and oooo I love desserts so much more.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM

I, too, have been very hard on myself...striving for that 'perfect' quilt. I love going into a specific (and somewhat snobby unfortunately) LQS for inspiration b/c they have so many quilts hanging...up high. They say that they don't want people damaging them by touching...that's ok, I understand. One day this past summer there was a quilt 'down'; draped over a display. Quite beautiful, I was very impressed. I looked close...then very close. OMG!!! My work is just as good!!! I have been quilting with my head held high ever since!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM

My mother and grandmother taught me to quilt and crochet, Mom always told me to leave imperfection as long as it did not affect the end result. Those were your "signatures" that made it truely your masterpiece.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Have enjoyed reading this entire thread. I have found self-criticism to be the most crippling thing out. For many years I would not do something or continue with it if I couldn't do it "perfectly". Looking back, it was such a sad waste.

I have been quilting for a couple of years now, because I really love it (along with gardening). Now I am refusing to let that negative self-talk get in the way. Sure, I strive to get things right (lots of unpicking and re-matching), just like I have to work with poor soil and a fairly arid climate in my garden. Some things work, others don't, so I adjust and keep plugging away. I am a lot happier and each quilt teaches me something new and is better than the last.

I now look at other people's work with fresh eyes....I don't look for perfection or mistakes, but colour, design and the "story" behind it's creation. Too me some of the most beautiful quilts are the older ones, the utilities, the marriage quilts, memory quilts,Gees Bend and of late the Tutwiler Quilts. Not forgetting of course, the amazing works I find here each day. Happy quilting everyone.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM

that is a wonderful resolution!! You will be a much happier quilter and much happier with your work. I'm so glad you realized this and took it to heart!! It was the best thing for me to keep quilting fun and stress-free!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I have done the same thing - beating myself up over my quilting (or lack thereof) skills. My mom told me a saying from the Amish quilters - 'Only God is perfect' and in fact they make a point of having an imperfection in each and every quilt they do. So we gotta just love our work - warts and all!
I can't imagine ever making something soooo perfect that I'd have to deliberately put a flaw in it.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Oh gosh, I love those three rules Tootsie. I used to be a perfectionist in my early years of quilting, especially my hand quilting, but now I have mellowed :) and just quilt for enjoyment.

I tend to remove myself from the 'circle' of quilters who tend to scrutinise every quilt to within an inch of its life, expect perfect quilts, seams, quilting, etc - if they are that picky, then they must not be really enjoying quilting for what it is meant to be.

Originally Posted by Tootsie
Originally Posted by cmworrall
my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
Good for you! I've been my own worst critic at times, so I've adopted a few "rules" in my sewing and quilting:
1. Done is better than perfect
2. If I'm traveling past my project at 5 mph and it looks good, it is perfect
3. If I make a "mistake", I can cover it up, cut it out or call it a design element.

Now I'm not saying I'll do sloppy work just to get something done, nor am I'm saying I don't try to perfect my skills, but I am going to focus on the pleasure and fun that I find in sewing and quilting!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM

I agree! I have some quilting books that have various blocks illustrated in the books, and I have been quite surprised at what they have chosen to publish in the book. Some of them are really off. And I end up tearing out and tearing out to make sure everything lines up as well as possible (I can't say "perfect"!). But I've never had the nerve to say this to anyone, so thanks for opening this up! We need to pat ourselves (and each other) on the back once in a while!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM

I have become less and less critical of my own work as time progresses...especially when I attend BIG quilt shows (like PIQF)and see things which have been described in other postings - out of the ditch, bindings not quite square - wavy edges....yea for those of us who can let go and for those of us who are struggling to do so....Happy 2011.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I agree! I have some quilting books that have various blocks illustrated in the books, and I have been quite surprised at what they have chosen to publish in the book. Some of them are really off. And I end up tearing out and tearing out to make sure everything lines up as well as possible (I can't say "perfect"!). But I've never had the nerve to say this to anyone, so thanks for opening this up! We need to pat ourselves (and each other) on the back once in a while!
LOL, hang around here and you will get more pats on the back when you post anything than you know what to do with!! This is the most awesomly supportive group I have ever encountered!!