Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 AM

I know we all enjoy the finished project, but the process of creating something of beauty should be our 'real joy'. After all, its not when we arrive at our destination that is so important, its our journey along the way!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 AM

I love it! You stated that perfectly. You go girl......
Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 AM

The good thing is quilting is dimensional! Always remember that it is all good.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 AM

Sounds like a great plan to me.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 AM

I'm in. what happened to the old saying that "lnly God is perfect, quilts aren't meant to be?" I go by that theory. My quilts are as good as I can get them but if someone don't like the imperfections they don't have to look at them. The older I get the less these little "quirks in a quilt" bothers me. I guess age does have it's advantages.haha
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM

What a great thread. We are always our worst critics, aren't we? Then I realize how lucky I am that I CAN make quilts or crochet. There are so many people who can't do any of these things and many who are so much better than I am at it! That applies to everything in life, doesn't it!!

If it gives you joy -- then do it. Someone will appreciate your generous spirit!!

Pat
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I have been to a few quilt shows and they aren't perfect and some quilts that I do like block of the month the pictures of the blocks and of the completed quilt are not perfect by any means. Also our LQS got a sample of a quilt in and it was not perfect and it was done by a professional - that is when I started being less hard on myself and with each quilt I am getting better and am happier with my quilts. I will never be perfect but to be honest no one is.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM

I think this is a WONDERFUL thread! I have had the priviledge of teaching a few quilt classes. I stress that the quilt police are NOT invited or allowed in my classroom. Learning anything takes time and patience. Rarely do we try something and master it the 1st 2nd or even 3rd time we attempt it. My kids played soccer for YEARS before they felt like they were even average at it. We are blessed to be able enjoy a hobby that brings joy to so many people. I think doing our best and expecting perfection are two completely different things. Will I keep trying to get better at my craft? You betcha! Have I stopped picking out each imperfection? Yep! Happy New Year to all my quilty 'sisters'
Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM

My quilting instructor simply says, "can you live with it?" If so, keep going. If not, stop and fix it.... I've found for the most part I can live with those little imperfections. She also suggests that you step back about 3-4 feet. Can you see the flaws? If so, ask the first question. My quilting life has been much easier remembering her ideas.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM

My mom would say that you are the only one who will know where the mistakes are, unless of course they are published in a magazine where quilters from all walks of life will criticize your work!!!That certainly will never be me.