Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore! >

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

I'm not criticizing my quilting skills anymore!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:45 AM

I think we all do that,I am an intermediate self taught quilter.I see quilts by the gals of my guild that I only dream of being able to do,but at a show in a different town I saw a quilt by a guild member that had six blocks put together wrong.So now I just laught at my mistakes.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM

I too have always been my own worst critic on my quilting and sewing. That is until I went to a quilt show recently. Made me feel a lot better about mine and now I'm not ashamed to say yes, I made that and quilted it!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Think of Gee's Bend, and another quilt show (at the San Francisco Folk Art Museum... I think it was) called 4 generations of quilting. Both shows featured Black quilters and both (often) sewed in their laps! When I walked into those shows I was astounded with the movement within the quilts. They weren't static.... they MOVED! In a video interview the grandmother (of the 4 generations) was asked, "But how can you just pick up pieces and add them to the quilt? What if you make a mistake?" That grandmother threw back her head and roared with laughter. "I make quilts with love and you can't make a mistake with love!!!!"

I've never worried about little oddities since (well, almost). But there is something graceful about handwork that allows "a little movement" within the piece. Anyway, my husband lowers his brows at me when I lament an "error". :lol: Sierra
Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tootsie
Originally Posted by cmworrall
my resolution this year is to just do my best and have fun with my quilting and not beat myself up anymore! :)
Good for you! I've been my own worst critic at times, so I've adopted a few "rules" in my sewing and quilting:
1. Done is better than perfect
2. If I'm traveling past my project at 5 mph and it looks good, it is perfect
3. If I make a "mistake", I can cover it up, cut it out or call it a design element.

Now I'm not saying I'll do sloppy work just to get something done, nor am I'm saying I don't try to perfect my skills, but I am going to focus on the pleasure and fun that I find in sewing and quilting!
I am my worse critic.2 years ago for Christmas a dear friend gave me a gift and made me promise to read it every morning before I started working. When I opened it,it was a plaque that had been painted to match my sewing room with the message,"Only God makes perfect quilts". I still read that sign every morning.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Ditto for me as well. I wa always so hard on myself. The first and only quilt class I took taught me that striving to achieve perfections takes the joy out of the project. I sure don't need any more stress in my life, that is the reason I started quilting, to enjoy my life.

Great goal for each of us this year. Happy quilting and have loads of enjoyable hours with your projects.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 AM

I am so glad to know there are people that get stressed out, besides me..I joined a group of ladies for the Quilts of Valor. Each month we make a quilt going somewhere in the World, to a wounded solider. We also make a pillow case to go with it. My job mostly is the pillow case with a French seam. So i want it perfect. So I get so stressed out over it. So I promised my self this year not to get so upset, if its not perfect.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM

I've noticed pictures in magazines and actual quilts at specialty and Amish stores and was so surpirised! My quilting doesn't look so bad. It gives you a boost to realize that you are good at what you do.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM

You know, I often wondered if the quilt magazine editors look for mistakes to photograph to put the beginners at ease and make us more likely to continue quilting and therefore spending money in the quiltworld?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Before I ever made my first quilt I was at my county fair and saw the quilts. I had sewn clothes for years but never a quilt. When I saw those quilts I was a little shocked at how some of them looked, I guess I assumed they would be perfect, and that prompted me to make a quilt.

I did, all hand pieced and hand quilted, and entered it the next year in the Quilter's First Quilt category. I won first place. That quilt hangs in my sewing room with the ribbon on it.

It's very far from perfect too!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
My Mother, also a quiltmaker, always said the imperfections where there in case she would ever have to identify one of her quilts!
This made me laugh! When each of my love children was born I found myself turning them every which way.... Of course my child was the most beautiful and the news was full of people stealing babies... so I had to find some flaw that would "prove" this child was mine! Doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense, but it did at the time.....