Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incentive >

Incentive

Incentive

Old 09-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Ah yes those doldrum days when you've just finished a big project and can't quite bring yourself to start another one....I have a couple of ongoing scrappy assembly blocks that usually take care of the 'I don't know what I want to do next" days. They are practically mindless but I am in my sewing room, my machine is turned on and I am actually sewing and that seems to be what I need to allow my brain to plan my next big project.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

SAme here. I'm good once I get the right boost.
Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with projects that I just can't "go." I've even thought several times about just selling my sewing room, but usually that's after an extended period of time that I haven't been able to sew. Once I get into a project, I remember that I enjoy it immensely, and that motivates me. To me, it's like running: The first step out the door is the most difficult, tedious one. Once I'm on my run, I feel so much better, and remember how much I enjoy it. I think our lives are so busy with work, family and other things that have to be done, that it becomes really easy to burn out - at least that's how it is in my life. I'm trying really hard to manage everything.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
A deadline.
Well said bearisgray! This is frequently my incentive as well.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:21 AM

I put together "kits" of quilts I want to make and that basket of kits keeps me motivated. I did the "sew in" this weekend and I got a lot accomplished. Seems once I start I am hooked.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 AM

yes, I always seem to need inspiration and a big push to get things done -- I hate deadlines but they do seem to get me started or keep me going -- right now, my bee is working on a BOM where each month the block is made up of quite a few small blocks, not just one-- each one of us who decided to participate plan to have the September block done in our own color/fabric choices by the middle of the month when we get together on a Saturday and work/visit/eat-- and then there are projects to be done by Christmas!!--I am definitely not one of the over-achievers in my bee!!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 AM

I go in spurts with incentive. Start a project then get sidetracked, then start another project before finishing the 1st one and so on. Deadlines helps me to get stuff done though. Now that the gardening is just about done for the season I can get back to the sewing room and maybe finish a couple projects before the 1st snow fall.

As to the projects, if I see one that looks interesting I keep the magazine or pattern on a shelf with the ideas written on a piece of scratch paper tucked or pinned to it for future thoughts. Then from time to time I go thru my pile of future ideas and see if they still have interest in my mind's eye. If not, they get put back where they belong and I move on.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:37 AM

Because I sew in a small corner (not really so small - DH wishes it was smaller), I have to sew up any new fabric I bring in. So what I have done is I have a printer drawer in my sewing desk, so any thing I need to use ASAP goes inside. When this drawer get full, I have to do something with it. Move it into my spare room with my stash, or start sewing. That gets me moving. I also have dead lines, because I have clients that I do alterations for and holiday shows I make things for. So again dead lines. Good luck
Old 09-08-2015, 08:32 AM

I usually need an incentive to finish a current project, when I am almost done with it, I find I drag my feet, start another project or look for another pattern, there must be some kind of a syndrome, maybe I don't want to end it syndrome?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 AM

I've become a foul weather quilter-once it gets to chilly to play out side I move into the sewing room. For me to get creative -start and finish a quilt this time of year it better have a carved in stone deadline. But on those all to often nights I can't sleep I do the majority of my cutting for my winter to-do list.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Replying to Martina re: avoiding housework to sew - That is the best way to write a dissertation as well. Or you have an extremely clean house. Bonus either way. : )