Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incentive >

Incentive

Incentive

Old 09-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Default Incentive

There are times when I need a bit of incentive to keep going with different projects because I become bogged down in work, volunteering, playing, running errands, cleaning and cooking. So, first place, I come here to see what everyone else is doing. Then I drag out countless magazines and patterns to look at. Then I wander from shelf to shelf and look at my fabric stash...... By, that time, I am ready to rock and roll. Do any of you ever need a little PUSH to get going? If so, what inspires you?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

A deadline.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

When I have tons of other chores to do and I use my sewing room as an excuse to get away. No matter what, I'd much rather be sewing than cleaning house.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 AM

I have a long list of quilts I'm planning to make; it's the anticipation of getting to the next one (or the fifth, or the 10th) on the list that keeps me moving forward with current projects.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
When I have tons of other chores to do and I use my sewing room as an excuse to get away. No matter what, I'd much rather be sewing than cleaning house.
AMEN!! I love beginning new projects, so anytime I have an idea, I get it started first chance I get.....but it's the persevering that doesn't always happen. If I have a real purpose, like a new baby, graduation, etc. I can keep on going. If it's a new pattern or interesting piece of fabric, I get it started, then often get bogged down and start something new before it it finished. I think I speak for a lot of us. I wish I could be like the rest of us who start one thing and finish it before starting something else. So yes, I suppose I need incentive to keep me going. Staying focused until the end only happens then I am making a piece especially for someone or some cause.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM

Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with projects that I just can't "go." I've even thought several times about just selling my sewing room, but usually that's after an extended period of time that I haven't been able to sew. Once I get into a project, I remember that I enjoy it immensely, and that motivates me. To me, it's like running: The first step out the door is the most difficult, tedious one. Once I'm on my run, I feel so much better, and remember how much I enjoy it. I think our lives are so busy with work, family and other things that have to be done, that it becomes really easy to burn out - at least that's how it is in my life. I'm trying really hard to manage everything.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I see a quilt that I want to make. That gets my engine going.....
Old 09-07-2015, 11:51 AM

I am like that often as well. I work full time and I get wore out.... even though I would prefer to be at my sewing machine I need some real motivation. I don't have the answer. Sometimes I just "push" myself - - much like I would push myself at work when the boss tells me to do something usually once I get over the hump of starting I am glad that I got started. I also found having a few different projects helps me. If they are all at different stages I can usually find one at a stage that I can get in the mood for fairly easy
Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM

I generally have a long list of quilts to make and some have time limits like the baby quilt I'm working on now. I basically make one quilt at a time & use the next one as a reward for finishing the one I'm working on. I get a lot of free patterns off the web, magazines & my Facebook page is a lot of quilting sites I frequent. So I'm continually bombarded with incentives to move along with my work. :-)
Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 PM

I make a small list with projects that need finishing each month. I only work on these. They get checked off, if not finished then they go to the top of the next month. I never put more then 5 to do as it gets to overwhelming . This works for me.