Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incentive >

Incentive

Incentive

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
SAme here. I'm good once I get the right boost.
I'm really glad I'm not the only one!!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM

I let inspiration arrive organically.
If I'm bored with a project, I put it aside and do something that interests me. In a day, or a week, or a month, or a year, I'll come back to it with fresh motivation.

The exception is if there's a looming deadline. Typically this is because a baby is on the way (or was born a month early... I'm looking at you, Lilly.*) or because someone is getting married and I bit off more than I could chew with regards to finishing their gift (or they eloped two months before the wedding was supposed to be planned... Michael, you inconsiderate jerk.*). In those cases, I generally spend some time kind of meditating on how important the recipient is to me before I get to work.

Seeking inspiration elsewhere is how I get even more UFOs in my craft room.

*said with mock-grumpiness and greatest affection for the individuals involved.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:14 PM

This is an issue for me too. Lately, I've been in a funk.

Deadlines are real motivators. There are 2 big ones march 2016. So I'm working on those projects. Also, setting a schedule for when they'll need to be at each stage.

Friends! Once a week I go to a sewing group. We have show and tell. I love getting something finished during the week to show and tell at the group meeting. Humility-needs work.

Making myself finish one project before going onto another.

Having a done/in progress/planning stage bulleting board. It feels good to more a note/photo from one block to another on my progress board. And it keeps it visual so I don't forget.

Challenges: UFO, guild design challenges, personal challenges.

Seeing other peoples progress.

Giving myself permission to loose myself in the project. The laundry and phone calls can wait...or get them done first thing and set myself free.

Set a goal of one small project and don't agonize over it.

Find a daily motivational picture and descide what I like about it.

I belong to an art gallery that changes the hanging about every 3 months. I want at least 1 new piece every time they change.

Just some ideas, off the top of my head, BRAINSTORMING.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Many times I will start a new project in the middle of another project. I see a new block or a new technique and I want to try it out right then before I forget. I've never needed and incentive to do anything I wanted to do. I don't mind housework because it gives me a clean house but have no problem no doing it either.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:13 AM

amen - I'm a terrible housekeeper any more. Would rather quilt or sew then clean. Seems like such a thankless job!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 AM

Sometimes, as now almost nothing can get me going. Since coming home from the hospital Sunday (9/7) I can't seem to get up enough courage to go out to the sewing room. I have plenty of deadlines and inspiration. I just can't take that first step out the door. Hope someone has something that will give me that push! I'll keep reading and hoping.

Susan
Old 09-09-2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with projects that I just can't "go." I've even thought several times about just selling my sewing room, but usually that's after an extended period of time that I haven't been able to sew. Once I get into a project, I remember that I enjoy it immensely, and that motivates me. To me, it's like running: The first step out the door is the most difficult, tedious one. Once I'm on my run, I feel so much better, and remember how much I enjoy it. I think our lives are so busy with work, family and other things that have to be done, that it becomes really easy to burn out - at least that's how it is in my life. I'm trying really hard to manage everything.
I'm so with you AllyStitches!!! I thought it was going to be so much easier since I retired. Instead, it has put so much pressure on me to enjoy it that I now hate it.

Susan
Old 09-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I agree. A deadline makes the difference for me. I am currently working on a Tumbler for my sister for Christmas. If for any reason, I do not make that....her birthday is January 16th. :-)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 AM

Change things up, do something different! In the middle of one quilt, I am currently painting a sweatshirt for a family reunion.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 AM

I try not to have deadlines, but they are always there somewhere. I want to quilt for fun, but it seems there is always a wedding, a new baby, etc; etc. I come here for inspiration and I have a friend that I am teaching to quilt, so I get her on the phone and make a "hurry up" date. This usually kicks me into gear.