Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incomplete? Instructions >

Incomplete? Instructions

Incomplete? Instructions

Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
very well said Terry D
Agree with Terry D -- There are so many "technique" books out there -- that is what I buy when looking for all the information I need on a subject. Then I use the patterns to make a specific quilt. I just purchased a book on applique -- it is over 120 pages of just instruction. I wouldn't expect to have that kind of detail in a pattern. Course that is completely frustrating to those who don't have the background!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
KLO

Can you imagine the cost of complete instructions for each child that you birth? Kids are costly enough without having to pay each time we have another. Oh wait, we do pay each time ..... and there are a lot of books out there with "instructions" on how to raise a child. Personally, I think the first child should be a "throw away" to learn on and then the subsequent kids would get the benefit of that practice. Ha!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Ok, how many recipies do you find in cookbooks that tell you what to serve with the fancy new dish you just prepared so lovingly? Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse? This is one of your "thinking" posts, right Bear?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Ok, how many recipies do you find in cookbooks that tell you what to serve with the fancy new dish you just prepared so lovingly? Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse? This is one of your "thinking" posts, right Bear?
Well, some magazines do picture complete outfits and complete menus! Some of my cookbooks have complete menus and how-to for elaborate table settings. Not that that will happen here!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
I hear you :-) The title should (ideally) say - Pattern for Quilt Block or Quilt Top.

This was actually the point of the post.

Thank you, Preeti, for "getting it"
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Can you imagine the cost of complete instructions for each child that you birth? Kids are costly enough without having to pay each time we have another. Oh wait, we do pay each time ..... and there are a lot of books out there with "instructions" on how to raise a child. Personally, I think the first child should be a "throw away" to learn on and then the subsequent kids would get the benefit of that practice. Ha!
The problem with that is that each kid presents us with different problems, so what we learned on the first one is absolutely no use with the second. (I think they do that on purpose.)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse?
Sometimes I wish my clothes were Garanimals. Just sayin'.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I once saw a movie in which a girl referred to herself as "the first pancake." She explained that you use the first pancake as the tester and it usually comes out under or overdone. Being a "first pancake", I got a kick out of it.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Do you really want to find instructions on how to layer, quilt, and bind your quilt in every pattern that you buy?
OH, what a perfect answer: NO !! Seriously, there is such a difference between quilter's who use a Longarm and others who quilt using their DSM. It is very hard to do a LAQ all over design on a DSM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Do you really want to find instructions on how to layer, quilt, and bind your quilt in every pattern that you buy?
The more paper they use the more the pattern will cost! I think I agree with your hidden statement.