Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incomplete? Instructions >

Incomplete? Instructions

Incomplete? Instructions

Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Do you really want to find instructions on how to layer, quilt, and bind your quilt in every pattern that you buy?
I agree, the pattern maker is assuming that you know what to do with your quilt top...if they have to give us instructions for layer, quilt and bind, I'm pretty sure that the price of the pattern will be going up.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 AM

I don't think the OP was making anything other than an observation. And for people who are completely new, it would be nice to post on the pattern that it is for the top only. I do like to have the block layout(s) included. I've bought about 10 patterns and they've all been thorough enough. Sometimes being new I have to ask you guys for clarification on written instructions. I'm thankful for you more experienced ladies and men for your helpful responses.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Ok, how many recipies do you find in cookbooks that tell you what to serve with the fancy new dish you just prepared so lovingly? Or clothing tags that suggest what you should wear with that new blouse? This is one of your "thinking" posts, right Bear?
But it does irritate me when a clothing pattern shows a whole outfit and then only the pattern for the very simple skirt is included.

It would be nice, though to know the level of detail included in a pattern before buying it.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 AM

I like it when the pattern references what design the quilter used. Quiltmaker magazine does that and also gives a sketch of the quilting design.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM

I always love "Quilt as desired".

I'm reminded of one of my recipes -- add the poultry seasoning until it smells right. I told a Home Ec teacher that, and she almost fainted! "If you can smell it, that's too much." I just answered back, "If you can't smell it, you can't taste it."
Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 AM

Lighten up ladies. Bear is the one who "winds the clock". She keeps the wheels turning.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Do you really want to find instructions on how to layer, quilt, and bind your quilt in every pattern that you buy?
Do you really NEED those instruction. Most of us know how to, or know what we want to do. Beginners can find such things elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've seen a lot of patterns for quilts that end something like this:

Layer, quilt, and bind.

Makes me think of this:

Have baby. Raise to adulthood.
Haha. That always makes me laugh, too-Kinda goes without saying. I'm new to quilting, so would like a few "suggestions" sometimes, or maybe links to.... whatever.(But I also like picture suggestions for my meals and clothing)
That's one of the many things I love about this board! You guys always have lots of ideas and suggestions.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 AM

There are lots of instructions out there for free about how to 'layer, quilt and bind', so I can see that we really don't need that inclusion in each pattern. However, I do think it might be nice to have just one or two suggestions as to quilting designs that might be good for that pattern. All that would take is a couple line drawings to give the idea, I'm not suggesting complete quilting patterns to be included.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Oh, and PS: My kids did only come with those directions: have babies and raise to adulthood. LOL.