Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inovva, Juki, George, or sweet 16 (want to purchase) >

Inovva, Juki, George, or sweet 16 (want to purchase)

Inovva, Juki, George, or sweet 16 (want to purchase)

Old 12-24-2015, 06:24 AM

Default Inovva, Juki, George, or sweet 16 (want to purchase)

I about to purcase a sit down quilting machine and I'd like to hear your input. I've tried out the new Inovva and the sweet sixteen. I don't like the bobbing being so hard to reach and there was no thread cutters on the Inovva and sweet sixteen. The Juki advertized their machine is the only the one that has a thread cutter and bobbins are EASY TO REACH. Are the JUKI's good machines? Compariable to the George and Inovva? What about the sweet sixteen with the machine at the back instead of the side? Does that make a difference? Do any of them have auto treaders??? (Am I asking for too much?) I am going to road to Calif. in Jan. to try some out before I purchase--- Just wanted your opinion 1st. so I know what to look for. I have never owned a long arm quilting machine. I make lots of quilts every year. Thanks so much for any input. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b12093f4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b12093f4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 12-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I think only you can make that decision. Going to a show and trying all machines is the best option. As far as the brands go, Innova, APQS (George) and Handi Quilter (Sweet 16) are companies that are dedicated to long arm quilting. Juki is known for their domestic and industrial machines, so has a more diverse focus. You might also want to look at the follow up support and training from the dealer.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:00 AM

Opps - missed that you are looking for a sit down machine - I wrote about stand up machines

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-24-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 AM

BTW - if I were to buy a sit down FMQ machine, Juki does not offer anything I would consider suitable, as they have no HIGH machines. I just bought the 2010, and I know many FMQ with it too. And the number one bad thing, it takes a class L bobbin, which holds less thread than the class 15, and no where near what an M class holds. Get one with an M class bobbin if you can do that. Less easy to get at the bobbin is less of a problem if the bobbin holds three times as much thread.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Hmm, I'm not quite sure why you would want an auto thread cutter feature on a quilting machine. Especially if you want to knot and bury threads down the road. If I am not knotting and burying but taking very very tiny stitches close together to lock them in place, I always test to make sure my stitches are locked before cutting and I guess I must be missing how you would do that with an auto thread cutter. But I have a stand up Innova, not a sit down.

As far as I know none of them have auto threaders. You may want to look at the Bernina
Old 12-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I agree with feline and Macybaby. Class M bobbins hold so much that you won't need to change them nearly as often. I have a stand-up Innova and have no wish for an auto thread cutter or automatic threader. Altogether I think you will find that what you want in a DSM is not necessarily the same thing as what you will want in a longarm.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 AM

Why do you need a thread cutter on a quilting machine? How would you hide your thread tails as most machines cut the threads too short to hide.

I've had a Juki and found it to be a great machine, it wasn't the sitdown one you're looking at but a regular machine I had stretched to 18 inches to put on a frame. Well made machine in my book. I now have the large 26" Innova on a frame and again no thread cutter but the bobbin is at the front. Again don't know where the bobbin is located on the sitdown version. The Innova machine is another well made machine and their Customer Service is 24/7, 365 days a year. Check with the other machines' Customer Service as in my book that's part of how great the machine itself is.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 AM

I have the Bernina Q20 sit down machine. It has a thread cutter/tie off. The bobbin, although large and easy to fill, is awkward for getting into the right position. Love my sit down though for quilting!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Good idea to shop at a large quilt show. You can get the best of both world: store support and a sales price. See what works best for you and the option you feel you need. Just like test driving a car before purchasing. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:12 AM

I have the Sweet Sixteen and I love it. It's been wonderful to be able to get so many of my finished tops quilted since I got it. I don't find the bobbin hard to reach. Don't have to change often since the bobbin holds a lot. Once you get the hang of it you can do it without even looking. Since I bring the threads to the top and clip I haven't missed a thread cutter. Having the machine at the back hasn't been a problem for me. No auto threading. I don't know if any sit down has this. I haven't had a problem threading the needle but I suppose you could use one of those inexpensive metal needle threaders.

Definitely a good idea to try them all at the quilt show.