Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron and Machine >

Iron and Machine

Iron and Machine

Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 AM

When I had my house remodeled before we moved in, I designated 2 plugs for possible iron and one for computerized sewing machine and one for TV. The new plugs are all about waist high so they are easy to reach and I know which plugs to use (in my previous house - not that old- all the overhead lights downstairs would blink when the iron cycled so I was careful).
Old 05-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post

Will a different outlet in the same room be alright? Some say to use a different circuit and not sure if that means not to use an outlet in same room.
Unless your house has been specifically remodeled to address this situation, all of the outlets in a room are on the same circuit so using a different plug in makes no difference. Even putting the iron in a different room might not make a difference as most smaller houses and mobile homes will have several if not all outlets wired on the same circuit.

Cari
Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 PM

will make sure to take a surge protector when I go to retreats. Maybe plug the iron into a surge protector as well would help????
Old 05-09-2016, 02:46 PM

I imagine this only applies to the newer computerized machines?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Thanks for the info! Just googled that question and many responses say this same thing. I always do get up to iron, now I'll add a few more steps!

Will a different outlet in the same room be alright? Some say to use a different circuit and not sure if that means not to use an outlet in same room.
That depends on how your house was wired, and when. The only way to know is to look at your breakers and see how they are labeled. If you only have one breaker that is for your sewing room, then all of your outlets in that room are all on the same circuit. If you have more than one breaker for the same room, then you have more than one circuit.
In my living room, for instance, I have two breakers, one is labeled "LR...south wall, ceiling", and the other is labeled " LR, east, west, north walls". I have 4 breakers for my kitchen, and 2 for the bathroom, but it is all fairly new wiring.
I had a house one time where the entire house was on one circuit! You could not plug 2 things in at the same time, or you'd blow a fuse!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:11 AM

I have my machines plugged into a battery powered generator that is plugged into the wall, but will protect it from power surges and power outages. We are on an electric co-op in the country and I wasn't going to take any chances. Last week the wind caused the power to flicker and go out for a few seconds. The only way I could tell was the overhead light went out for about 5 seconds, but the machines continued to sew evenly. I don't remember the cost but I think it was about $50-60 for peace of mind. I think it will hold the power for 6-8 minutes and then sound an alarm so you can unplug your machines. We have a whole house generator that takes over after losing power for 5 minutes, so have never used that feature. I'm sure I heard about this type generator from someone on the board who recommended all long armers should have their machines plugged into something like this. So much valuable information on this board. Never would have thought about power surges within the house, but it makes sense Onebyone. My iron is on a different circuit breaker.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
That depends on how your house was wired, and when. The only way to know is to look at your breakers and see how they are labeled. If you only have one breaker that is for your sewing room, then all of your outlets in that room are all on the same circuit. If you have more than one breaker for the same room, then you have more than one circuit.
In my living room, for instance, I have two breakers, one is labeled "LR...south wall, ceiling", and the other is labeled " LR, east, west, north walls". I have 4 breakers for my kitchen, and 2 for the bathroom, but it is all fairly new wiring.
I had a house one time where the entire house was on one circuit! You could not plug 2 things in at the same time, or you'd blow a fuse!
Exactly what my cousin/electrician said. When I first saw the subject, my first reaction was BS. So I called on old faithful (Bill) for an answer. He didn't laugh but he did say unless you are in a very modern house that was wired specifically for that situation, most of is not true. Now there may be some people who do have their rooms wired to eliminate this BUT most homes aren't.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 AM

Wow. Good to know! Thank you.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:46 AM

The best way to prevent this is to go to Best Buy and get a power back up for your machine. I had one of mine blow the power unit even though it was on a strip when we had a storm. It was a 350 dollar repair and the repairman told me to get the back up as the fluctations in power can do this, not just high, but low. It was worth the 50.00 I paid for it.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 AM

I had also heard about separating your iron and machine about a year ago...and so I have. When I go to add my sewing room over the garage, I think I will use QuiltnLady's idea of adding a plug higher for my iron.