Iron

Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by josi49
Originally Posted by crashnquilt
...read about the Rowenta spitting and leaking but so far, knock on wood, I have not had that problem. Instead of straight tap water I mix a 50/50 tap/distilled water. This seems to work for me.
...If I don't wait at least 2 full minutes for it to preheat when I add water for steam, it spits and sputters and is totally incontinent. As long as I let it preheat, it's happy and so am I. Josi FL
Both excellent points to remember. I just got a new Rowenta for Christmas & had been hesitating to use it based on all the negative comments on the board. I had never owned a new iron before in my life, so was rather excited to see how well it worked. I really wanted the steam in the vertical position for taking wrinkles out of a few items that are difficult due to gathers & such.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
...plugged into an outlet in the iron wall cabinet that has a timer that lasts 30 minutes, and it's nice, when the timer cuts off the electricity to the iron, it also shuts off the light, letting me know it's off.
Our "new" old house had one of these wall cabinet ironing boards as well, & the timer as you have. I like it for this same reason, light goes out & you know the iron shut off. For those who might like this feature without a cabinet, just buy a timer that plugs into the wall & plug your iron into the timer; you can control how long to turn the dial.
I think this is how I will set up my ironing area in the sewing room. My neat ironing board is in the finished basement of our home & my knees can't always do the stairs so well; so not used as often as I'd like.