Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron

Blog Entries
    I'm finding that my iron isn't as hot as it used to be. It doesn't get wrinkles out of cotton very well. I guess I'm wearing it out. Is there a brand that works better with quilting, ie. getting hotter?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat.

Blog Entries
    I got a Rowenta for that reason. However it is pricey...Some get the WM inexpensive ones and when it dies get another.

Pressing blocks on Tuesday night, noticed my iron was not hot, apparently I have burned out the heating element! Fabric beats iron...is this similar to rock, paper, scissors?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Pressing blocks on Tuesday night, noticed my iron was not hot, apparently I have burned out the heating element! Fabric beats iron...is this similar to rock, paper, scissors?
    that's funny ;-)

My 15 year old Rowenta Clip-up iron started leaking. The removable resevoir had a small piece of plastic break off :< So, I just bought a Rowenta Professional iron at Big Lots. They had a 20% off sale, so I got the iron, for like $26. I love it!

I bought a Rowenta a few years ago and love it. I had read about the Rowenta spitting and leaking but so far, knock on wood, I have not had that problem. Instead of straight tap water I mix a 50/50 tap/distilled water. This seems to work for me.

I just replaced my Rowenta because it was not turning on all the time. Kinda frustrating. I got my new one at Costco and so far am loving it. It is a Shark one for only 23 bucks. I normally don't like cheaper irons since I do have to iron my husbands shirts as well as use it for sewing. But this one is nice so far.

The only thing I don't like about my Rowenta is the auto shut off. When I need to press a block I have to wait for it to heat back up. Call me impatient, but when I want to iron I want to iron...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    The only thing I don't like about my Rowenta is the auto shut off. When I need to press a block I have to wait for it to heat back up. Call me impatient, but when I want to iron I want to iron...
    I'm with you. I keep an eye on mine, when I know I'm going to need it I turn it back on before I'm actually ready.

Here's my iron story:

Several years ago (over 10) I had hardly any money but needed an iron to iron my clothes. So I walked across town to the dollar store and bought a $5 iron.

I still had that iron, and it worked GREAT, until early this summer. That is when it happend... I dropped my poor iron off the ironing board onto the floor. I almost started crying!

Well, I ran outside and told my hubby what had happened. he told me to get a new one right then. So I went to Walmart. I had no idea there were so many types and prices of irons. The one I had before my $5 one was an antique electric Sunbeam that was given to me.

So I called my hubby and asked how much i should spend? The cheapest one they had was $10. he told me to spend more than that, go ahead, get the best one I could for $50.

Well,,,, that $50 iron only lasted a few weeks.

It was a Sunday afternoon, i had a deadline on a project for the next day. That $50 iron died.

I franticlly called the dollar store to see if they were still open (it was a Sunday). Yes, they were open. i asked her if she had a cheap iron. I told her what had happened. she set the phone down for a few minutes. When she came back she told me she had one for $7 and would put it behind the register for me.

Well, I still have that iron. It's been a few months, but its looking like a long relationship.

And no auto shut off! :)

Blog Entries
    I have had better luck with the cheapies than with the more expensive brands. I keep a new one on the shelf. The one I am using now is a $6.00 Black & Decker from WM. It has been in use for 3or 4 years.

I go for the 10.00 walmart irons. Mine does not have an auto shut off on it (I LOVE this fact), and no matter how many times the cat, the kids, or I knock it off into the floor it still turns on! I have used tap water, bottled water, distilled water, whatever water is handy to fill it and it still works like a champ.

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    The old one I had, I couldn't kill no matter how hard I tried! It was just so heavy I wanted a lighter one. I got cheap Sunbeam Steam Master about 10 years ago and it's still going strong. I liked the auto shut off because I have senior moments and forget to cut off. This is easy, when it shuts off I just lay it down and right back up and she heats up quickly.

On the other hand I bought my daughter a iron and board for her room (yeah right like she was going to use that!). I hate that thing! It's a Sunbeam too but when it shuts off you have to unplug and plug back in to heat it up again! So be sure to read the box about the auto shut off feature.

Does anyone know where to find an iron made in USA?

I am a fan of Rowenta ....They produce a great amount of steam...... But I have purchased two top of the line ( spent over $90 each time).They both died in the same manner , they would heat uncontrolably and burn the thread of the fabric, and scorch every thing it touched. I guess the thermosate went out and it just kept heating and heating and heating. Even though I loved the steam .. I am not sure I will purchase another Rowenta. I will admit the weight was becoming an issue as well , it was really agrivating my carpal tunnel.
    My advise ... just do not get a Teflon sole plate- too hard to get off any adhesives from wonder under or heat and bond. Look for a good Stainless Steel sole plate, and lots of steam openings on the plate.

Good one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Am I the only one who doesn't use water/steam in their iron? My iron is dry, I use ironing spray directly on the fabric if I need it.

I don't steam either.

Blog Entries
    My Rowenta Focus has been leaking for the last two weeks. I fill it up and next thing you know, there is a puddle of water. I've been sitting it in a plate with a dish towel to catch all of the water and not ruin my ironing board cover. I, too have been on the prowl for a new iron and don't know which way to go. I love the steam of the Rowenta, but didn't know if I wanted to spend that much AGAIN. I usually go to amazon.com and read all of the feedback on all of the irons-still can't make up my mind! I had thought about a new post-what kind of iron do you have and do you really like it. I'm keeping a close look at this thread!

I guess that is why they make them steam or dry!

Deb... lol... sounds like a good argument for purchasing a new iron :D

I have to have auto shut off. If I didn't I would burn the house down. I am not kidding either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Amen!

Only a Rowenta here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast