Iron

Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 PM

I guess that is why they make them steam or dry!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Pressing blocks on Tuesday night, noticed my iron was not hot, apparently I have burned out the heating element! Fabric beats iron...is this similar to rock, paper, scissors?
Deb... lol... sounds like a good argument for purchasing a new iron :D
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM

I have to have auto shut off. If I didn't I would burn the house down. I am not kidding either.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
The only thing I don't like about my Rowenta is the auto shut off. When I need to press a block I have to wait for it to heat back up. Call me impatient, but when I want to iron I want to iron...
Amen!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Only a Rowenta here.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 PM

I have a Black and Decker and a Rowenta...I luv the Black and Decker better...I paid $1.50 at a garage sale and that was a few years ago. It stays hot and doesn't shut off right away like some of the irons do...Sometimes cheaper is better...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shermy
I have a Black and Decker and a Rowenta...I luv the Black and Decker better...I paid $1.50 at a garage sale and that was a few years ago. It stays hot and doesn't shut off right away like some of the irons do...Sometimes cheaper is better...
I have to agree with you. I have a Black and Decker travel iron that I take to classes, it gets so hot, I just love it for quilting. :P
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM

I love my WM cheapie. It works and it doesn't weigh a ton. The steam works great and I don't care that I use tap water. When it dies, I'll get another one and shed no tears.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM

I've had a Rowenta for a long time. Last week it would turn on, but didn't get hot. Got a new one at Bed, Bath & Beyond with 20% off coupon. Came home, tried the new iron in the kitchen & it worked great. Took it into the sewing room and now it's acting like the old Rowenta. The culprit was my extension cord, not the iron. So now I have 2 Rowentas!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 PM

I thought I needed a new iron the other day, too - but then I realized mine wasn't plugged in!

I like the ones that turn themselves off. That way my husband doesn't have to turn around when we're half-way to the airport. It only takes a couple minutes to heat up. I should probably go upstairs to see who made it, but DH is asleep in the room next door - I'll get back to y'all tomorrow.

I've heard so many bad things about Rowentas that I won't buy one. Irons don't seem to last forever like they did when I was a bride (look at me in my Avatar - hint - I'm NOT the young one). So I don't spend a lot of $$ on them. And I don't like steam, because it always spits when I'm SURE it's empty, and ONLY when I'm ironing light colors. I prefer to spray a pressing cloth instead of using steam.

I agree with Lori S ~ I don't like teflon coating either.